UVU softball: Utes too much for Wolverines in doubleheader sweep
Linsey Craig, UVU Athletics
Utah Valley University dropped an afternoon doubleheader to the University of Utah on Monday, falling 6-2 and 8-1. The Wolverines are back in action Tuesday with more non-conference action at Idaho State.
Kelli Fox and Morgan Summers led the Wolverines (12-28) with three hits apiece on the day, while the trio of Megan Peay, Dara Rahm and Erin Romero supplied three RBIs. Junior Peay delivered the only run for UVU in game two, belting her first home run of the season beyond the left field fence.
Debra Lovell and Rahm each went 2-for-3 at the plate in game two.
Freshman Bailey Moore (1-6) threw 10.0 innings between the two contests, getting the starting nod in game two. She pitched six full innings in game two, suffering the loss after allowing four earned runs on eight hits before giving way to Kailey Christensen in the seventh inning. Josi Summers (6-14) started game one, yielding three earned runs in three innings pitched.
Utah Valley recorded 14 hits but could only manufacture three total runs on the afternoon. The Wolverines stranded a combined 12 runners on base while committing five errors. Meanwhile, Utah (18-19) produced its 14 runs on 17 hits, while committing two defensive miscues — both of which came in game one.
Monday's doubleheader stood as Utah Valley's annual Pink for a Purpose game. Proceeds from the game were donated to Swing for Life and breast cancer research. UVU lecturer Tiffany Joy Yoast, a breast cancer survivor and aunt of junior Rachel Schoonmaker, threw out the first pitch.
The Wolverines face a quick turnaround as they meet Idaho State for the third and final time this season in a 4 p.m. Tuesday contest in Pocatello. From there, UVU treks to Kansas City to face UMKC in a three-game WAC series.
Kellen Hiser is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Roger Federer pulls out of French Open
- Pacquiao's Senate victory brings him closer...
- Phil Mickelson to forfeit nearly $1 million...
- Perfect 10: Cavs stay unbeaten in postseason,...
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 49
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 36
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 29
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 20
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Morning links: Bronco Mendenhall and... 15
- Utah State forward Jalen Moore removes... 7
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 7