Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss (win?) in home finale against the Lakers
While Gordon Hayward doesn’t know if he’ll return to Utah when he becomes a restricted free agent this offseason, the Jazz’s leading scorer said he hopes the team learns from situations like this in the future.
“I think (we need to learn) how to close out games, learning not to give up huge runs like we did tonight,” added Hayward, whose team began the fourth quarter by watching the Young-sparked Lakers score 11 straight. “Just the little things that help you win basketball games. I think that’s what a lot of us need to take, because we were in a lot of games and then we have a lapse and we’re down 10, 15 points.”
This particular late-game dismantling was hard for Corbin, a coach on the heat seat, to watch from the sideline.
“My message to all of them is you are your own brand and when you step out there on the floor you’ve got to make sure you perform a certain way and don’t ever concede to other people’s doubts about where you are, what you should be doing and you’ll be around a lot longer,” Corbin said. “I thought we gave into it a little bit tonight.”
In a weird way, as demoralizing as it was, the outcome was also the best comeback of the season for the Jazz.
NOTES: Starting for the third straight game, shooting guard Alec Burks led the Jazz in scoring with 22 points. Hayward added 21 points and six rebounds. ... Utah needs a win in Wednesday's season finale at Minnesota to avoid matching the 1979-80 team's Beehive State-worst record of 24-58. The inaugural 1974-75 squad had the fewest wins in franchise history with 23. ... The Jazz and Lakers finished their season series with a 2-2 split.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 67
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 39
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 34
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 31
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28