BYU golf: White stands in second, Cougars in third after day one of WCC championship
Freshman Alexandra White led the BYU women's golf team to a third-place standing after day one of the West Coast Conference championship on Monday.
"We had a rough start, but we played solid after that start," BYU women's golf coach Carrie Roberts said. "We threw away some shots at the end, but we just need to eliminate the big mistakes."
BYU completed round one of the five-team tournament at 11-over-par, trailing first place Pepperdine (-3) by 14 strokes and second place Gonzaga (+4) by seven strokes.
White tied for second with Pepperdine's Liv Cheng at 2-under-par and trailed first-place Gonzaga Alice Kim by one stroke. White finished with four birdies on the day with three of them coming in her first five holes.
"[White] has been playing really well as of late, especially in the last three tournaments," Roberts said. "She's hitting the ball really well and she worked on her putting. She's worked hard and she's very focused."
San Francisco trails BYU at 19-over-par with Santa Clara in last place at 23-over-par.
The Cougars return to action for the second round at the Gold Mountain Golf Club on Tuesday with tee times beginning at 7:30 a.m. PST.
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- BYU opponent preview: Mixing Riley's system...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 114
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 31
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 18
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy... 13