UVU baseball: Wolverines survive UTPA comeback to win finale
Utah Valley University saw a six-run lead disappear only to respond with six runs in the eighth inning to win the finale of a three-game series, 14-11, over Texas-Pan American on Sunday at Brent Brown Ballpark.
Jordy Hart went 4-for-5 with four RBIs and capped the six-run eighth with a three-run home run. The Wolverines (14-20, 7-5) and Broncs (15-23, 5-7) combined to score 13 runs in the eighth. UTPA scored seven times in the top half of the inning to take a 9-8 lead.
Danny Beddes pitched seven innings for Utah Valley and left with an 8-2 lead but did not pick up a win after the Wolverines lost the lead. Beddes struck out three and allowed just five hits with both runs scored against him coming in unearned.
“Beddes did a good job and should have gotten a win. He came out and got it done for us,” head coach Eric Madsen said. “You’ve got to play hard regardless of the situation and to give up that lead was frustrating but it was good to see us dig a little deeper and come back.”
Leading 3-2 in the sixth, the Wolverines sent 10 hitters to the plate and scored five runs — four after there were two outs — to take an 8-2 lead. Hart had an RBI single to get things started and Seth Rhineer added a two-run double. Mark Krueger and Riley White also drove in runs in the frame.
In UTPA’s half of the eighth, an infield single, a walk and an error loaded the bases with nobody out before Alberto Morales doubled down the line at third to drive in the first two runs in the inning. The Broncs later took a 9-8 lead on a two-run single by Jesus Garcia.
In addition to Hart’s four-hit day, Rhineer had three hits, three runs and two RBIs. The Wolverines finished with 16 hits on the afternoon. Texas-Pan American had 12 hits, getting five of those in the final two innings.
Early on in the contest, two bunt singles in the second inning aided the Wolverines, who led 1-0 after a sacrifice fly by Cam Zollinger. The Broncs took a brief lead in the top of the third when a two-out error extended the inning and Edgar Cordon singled to drive in two runs.
Rhineer led off the bottom half of the inning with a bunt single, UVU’s third of the game, and moved to second on a walk before scoring on a Moysh base hit back through the middle.
The Wolverines regained the lead when Bogden singled into right-center with two outs in the fourth, scoring Hart. Braden Poole (1-1) pitched 2.0 innings and was credited with the win for UVU, while Isaac Martinez (0-1) took the loss for UTPA.
Utah Valley now travels to face league-leading Sacramento State this week with the series opener slated for Thursday at 3 p.m. PT.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU graduates charged with cultivating 'love...
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend with...
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to Friday...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC finale,...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early deficit...
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU graduates charged with cultivating... 1
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend... 0
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep... 0