Utah football: Utes are eager to pick up the pace offensively
“It’s close. It’s not like he’s head and shoulders above Adam Schulz and it’s not like he’s really far behind Travis because there’s give and take,” Whittingham said. “Some days he is the best quarterback. Some days Schulz has been the best quarterback. Most days Travis has been the best quarterback.”
Whittingham noted that everything is tracked and charted in the competition. On Saturday, Manning and Schulz were even made live for eight to 12 plays in the scrimmage.
Manning, though, has impressed the coaching staff with his pocket presence. Like Wilson, he’s watched a lot of film and said he’s always trying to improve.
“I feel really comfortable with these four weeks that we’ve been through and the sky’s the limit right now for us offensively,” Manning said.
As far as moving up to No. 2 on the depth chart, Manning insists it doesn’t alter his approach.
“It didn’t really change my mindset. My mindset has been one thing and that’s been getting better and doing whatever I can to help this team,” Manning said. “So whether I was No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, my mindset didn’t change.”
Manning added that the quarterback group, which also includes No. 4 Brandon Cox, is supportive of one another and has the back of whoever is getting the reps.
Oklahoma transfer Kendal Thompson joins the mix when preseason camp opens in August. So, too, does Louisiana high school star Donovan Isom.
“Kendal Thompson. We’ve got find out about him right away in fall camp and he’s going to get a bunch of reps right away to show what he can do because we’ve got a good look at the guys we’ve got in the program now,” Whittingham said. “But with Kendal and even Donovan Isom, our freshman, we’ve got to a feel for what their capabilities are — because very soon and very quickly into fall camp we’ve got to decide who is going to get the reps and so finding out about Kendal will be job one in the fall.”
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48