Utah Jazz: Jazz guard Gordon Hayward gets invited to the Philippines
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz won’t be participating in the playoffs this year, so the NBA asked Gordon Hayward to do it a favor.
Because the Jazz shooting guard had nothing better to do at the end of the month, Hayward happily accepted the invitation to help run a clinic for youth basketball players in the Philippines.
Hayward and former WNBA great Tina Thompson will coach young hopefuls trying to become Jr. NBA/Jr. WNBA All-Stars during the Philippines 2014 national training camp.
The camp, sponsored by the NBA’s international youth development program, will include the top 50 boys and top 24 girls from that country and will take place from April 25-27 in Manila, according to The Philippine Star.
Hayward said he’s never been to the Philippines, so he’s excited to take on a new adventure, which includes some fun travel and hoops.
“It’s kind of like a little vacation to go over there,” he said, “and then at the same time you get to do something for basketball.”
Hayward will also travel to Las Vegas in late July to try out for a spot on Team USA’s squad for the 2014 FIBA World Cup tournament.
The 6-8 swingman, who’s averaging 16.0 points, 5.2 assists and 5.0 rebounds in his fourth season, will become a restricted free agent on July 1.
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- Having achieved its Final Four goal, the BYU...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 48
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 28