Utah Jazz: Jazz guard Gordon Hayward gets invited to the Philippines
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz won’t be participating in the playoffs this year, so the NBA asked Gordon Hayward to do it a favor.
Because the Jazz shooting guard had nothing better to do at the end of the month, Hayward happily accepted the invitation to help run a clinic for youth basketball players in the Philippines.
Hayward and former WNBA great Tina Thompson will coach young hopefuls trying to become Jr. NBA/Jr. WNBA All-Stars during the Philippines 2014 national training camp.
The camp, sponsored by the NBA’s international youth development program, will include the top 50 boys and top 24 girls from that country and will take place from April 25-27 in Manila, according to The Philippine Star.
Hayward said he’s never been to the Philippines, so he’s excited to take on a new adventure, which includes some fun travel and hoops.
“It’s kind of like a little vacation to go over there,” he said, “and then at the same time you get to do something for basketball.”
Hayward will also travel to Las Vegas in late July to try out for a spot on Team USA’s squad for the 2014 FIBA World Cup tournament.
The 6-8 swingman, who’s averaging 16.0 points, 5.2 assists and 5.0 rebounds in his fourth season, will become a restricted free agent on July 1.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 54
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 34
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21