Left-hander Aaron Brown handcuffed BYU in a 9-1 victory for No. 24 Pepperdine on Saturday, striking out seven Cougars and hitting a solo homer.
Pepperdine extended its West Coast Conference lead to 12-3 and 27-8 overall as it won the last two of three games against BYU, which is 14-23 overall and 5-10 in league play.
After stopping the Waves’ eight-game winning streak with a 1-0 victory last Thursday, BYU fell victim to Pepperdine recoiling in Malibu, Calif.
Brown belted his second homer of the series and seventh dinger of the year, a solo in the fifth inning, and improved his pitching record to 7-1 as he threw seven complete innings to impress over 30 pro scouts in attendance.
“He (Brown) beat us twice (Friday and Saturday). He is a force in their lineup and feels like he owns the field,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “We did a decent job with their lineup and didn’t give up on one pitch. We played hard for nine innings.”
Pepperdine jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first frame, a 6-0 margin after the second and a 7-0 score after three innings before BYU got on the board.
BYU’s Dillon Robinson advanced to second base twice in the game, in the first (error on a pick off) and fourth innings (wild pitch). Robinson scored in the fourth on a one-out triple to right field by Brock Whitney. That triple extended Whitney’s hitting streak to 13 games and closed the gap to 7-1.
The Cougars mounted a scoring effort in the sixth inning when Brennon Lund and Whitney singled with two outs, but both were stranded as Brown picked up his sixth strikeout to end that threat.
“You have to tip your cap to him (Brown),” Whitney said. “He had his stuff working today. We’re still in it if we play well at home and could sneak into the tournament.”
BYU has played 29 of its 37 games on the road this season and now readies for nine consecutive league games at home. But first it plays Monday at No. 14 UC Santa Barbara at 1 p.m. PDT.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18