Woman dies of gunshot wound at rural Summit County cabin
OAKLEY, Summit County — Police are trying to determine how a woman died of a gunshot wound while staying at a cabin in rural Summit County on Friday.
Police say a woman in her 40s was found on the porch of a cabin near 3645 E. Weber Canyon Road with a single gunshot wound to the chest, said Summit County Sheriff's Capt. Justin Martinez.
Police received reports of an active shooter in the area about 5:15 p.m., briefly prompting a SWAT team search, but authorities arriving on scene determined that wasn't the case, Martinez said.
Neighbors near the cabin told police they heard a woman screaming. They located the woman on the porch and attempted CPR, but the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
The woman was staying at the cabin with her boyfriend, who was renting the property, and his friend, Martinez said. Both men are cooperating with deputies and are not considered suspects.
Police served a search warrant on the cabin but said they had no suspects Friday night and had not declared the death to be either a homicide or a suicide, Martinez said. A state medical examiner will inspect the body before cause of death is determined.
— McKenzie Romero
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- The truth about addiction
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 14