Woman dies of gunshot wound at rural Summit County cabin
OAKLEY, Summit County — Police are trying to determine how a woman died of a gunshot wound while staying at a cabin in rural Summit County on Friday.
Police say a woman in her 40s was found on the porch of a cabin near 3645 E. Weber Canyon Road with a single gunshot wound to the chest, said Summit County Sheriff's Capt. Justin Martinez.
Police received reports of an active shooter in the area about 5:15 p.m., briefly prompting a SWAT team search, but authorities arriving on scene determined that wasn't the case, Martinez said.
Neighbors near the cabin told police they heard a woman screaming. They located the woman on the porch and attempted CPR, but the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
The woman was staying at the cabin with her boyfriend, who was renting the property, and his friend, Martinez said. Both men are cooperating with deputies and are not considered suspects.
Police served a search warrant on the cabin but said they had no suspects Friday night and had not declared the death to be either a homicide or a suicide, Martinez said. A state medical examiner will inspect the body before cause of death is determined.
— McKenzie Romero
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Teen dies in suspected overdose in Farmington
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13