Woman dies of gunshot wound at rural Summit County cabin
OAKLEY, Summit County — Police are trying to determine how a woman died of a gunshot wound while staying at a cabin in rural Summit County on Friday.
Police say a woman in her 40s was found on the porch of a cabin near 3645 E. Weber Canyon Road with a single gunshot wound to the chest, said Summit County Sheriff's Capt. Justin Martinez.
Police received reports of an active shooter in the area about 5:15 p.m., briefly prompting a SWAT team search, but authorities arriving on scene determined that wasn't the case, Martinez said.
Neighbors near the cabin told police they heard a woman screaming. They located the woman on the porch and attempted CPR, but the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
The woman was staying at the cabin with her boyfriend, who was renting the property, and his friend, Martinez said. Both men are cooperating with deputies and are not considered suspects.
Police served a search warrant on the cabin but said they had no suspects Friday night and had not declared the death to be either a homicide or a suicide, Martinez said. A state medical examiner will inspect the body before cause of death is determined.
— McKenzie Romero
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- About Utah: Remembering the most brilliant...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- Bingham High students walk out over... 17
- Debates ready to start, third-party... 12