Teen skateboarder killed while attempting to cross Salt Lake street
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A teenage boy is dead after being hit by a truck while skateboarding Friday afternoon.
The boy was headed west on Yale Avenue and crossing 1300 East about 2 p.m. when he was hit by a northbound truck, said Salt Lake police detective Veronica Montoya.
The boy was in a crosswalk, but police were unsure whether the crossing's flashing lights had been activated, Montoya said.
The boy was pronounced dead at the scene, dispatchers confirmed.
Investigators were taking statements from several witnesses, Montoya said. Cars and pedestrians on 1300 East were diverted from the accident scene until about 7 p.m.
No information about the boy's name or age was released Friday.
— McKenzie Romero
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15