Former USU Eastern basketball coach arrested after driving car onto school playground
Kevin Scannell, Sun Advocate
PRICE — A former Utah State University Eastern basketball coach was arrested after police say he drove his car onto an elementary school playground.
A police officer was at the school Friday afternoon when Christopher Craig, 32, drove into the bus turnaround area, went over the curb, crossed the sidewalk and pulled on the asphalt play area next to the playground, Price Police Capt. Bill Barnes said.
"He was wearing what we would term Arabic-style clothing, complete with a turban on his head," Barnes said.
Craig, who police said has had mental health problems but no history of violence, was taken into custody without incident by responding officers.
"Normally he's a wonderful guy, a really nice man, a husband and father," Barnes said.
The incident occurred shortly before school was scheduled to end, and no students were out at the time, Barnes said. Police moved the car, and students were dismissed without incident.
Craig has a child who attends the school, though the student wasn't there today, Barnes said.
The officer who was at the school has crisis intervention training, as did some of the responding officers, Barnes said.
"Thankfully we had good hands who were present at the time and were able to calmly take care of everything," he said.
Craig was booked into Carbon County Jail for investigation of disorderly conduct and driving on a suspended license.
Craig was the head coach of the USU Eastern basketball team from 2007 to 2010, when he left to take an assistant coaching position at Northern Colorado University in Greeley, Colo., for one year. From there, he moved to Midland College in Midland, Texas, where he retired for "personal reasons" after two seasons.
Craig made headlines last summer when he caused scenes at several Colorado churches, interrupted classes and drove around wearing a homemade turban and sunglasses, and filming himself, according to the Associated Press.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 38
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9