Former USU Eastern basketball coach arrested after driving car onto school playground
Kevin Scannell, Sun Advocate
PRICE — A former Utah State University Eastern basketball coach was arrested after police say he drove his car onto an elementary school playground.
A police officer was at the school Friday afternoon when Christopher Craig, 32, drove into the bus turnaround area, went over the curb, crossed the sidewalk and pulled on the asphalt play area next to the playground, Price Police Capt. Bill Barnes said.
"He was wearing what we would term Arabic-style clothing, complete with a turban on his head," Barnes said.
Craig, who police said has had mental health problems but no history of violence, was taken into custody without incident by responding officers.
"Normally he's a wonderful guy, a really nice man, a husband and father," Barnes said.
The incident occurred shortly before school was scheduled to end, and no students were out at the time, Barnes said. Police moved the car, and students were dismissed without incident.
Craig has a child who attends the school, though the student wasn't there today, Barnes said.
The officer who was at the school has crisis intervention training, as did some of the responding officers, Barnes said.
"Thankfully we had good hands who were present at the time and were able to calmly take care of everything," he said.
Craig was booked into Carbon County Jail for investigation of disorderly conduct and driving on a suspended license.
Craig was the head coach of the USU Eastern basketball team from 2007 to 2010, when he left to take an assistant coaching position at Northern Colorado University in Greeley, Colo., for one year. From there, he moved to Midland College in Midland, Texas, where he retired for "personal reasons" after two seasons.
Craig made headlines last summer when he caused scenes at several Colorado churches, interrupted classes and drove around wearing a homemade turban and sunglasses, and filming himself, according to the Associated Press.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Canceled Utah race renews fears of shrinking...
- Is report on building prison in Draper...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- About Utah: Thousands served by one good idea
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 84
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 56
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 49
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 33
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 30
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 25
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 20