ESPN report: Jabari Parker rules out going on Mormon mission, still undecided on declaring for NBA draft
Gerry Broome, AP
With the April 27 deadline looming for underclassmen to declare for the 2014 NBA draft, ESPN is reporting Duke freshman Jabari Parker is still undecided whether he will enter the draft and is planning to meet with Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski next week to discuss the situation.
During an interview Friday with ESPN LA 710 in Los Angeles, Parker, a 19-year-old Chicago native and member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, indicated he has ruled out going on a Mormon mission.
"I think I have, at this point," Parker said regarding making a decision on serving a mission, according to the L.A. Times. "It's either between returning or (going), and that's all I want to take care of."
This year's NBA draft takes place June 26.
In his freshman year at Duke, Parker averaged 19.1 points and 8.7 rebounds while shooting 50.3 percent from the field for the Blue Devils. He was the first Duke freshman to earn consensus first-team All-America honors.
"It's a very tough decision, especially potentially leaving behind my coach and the program that really helped me out this year, so I really have to keep them in consideration in this whole process," Parker told the radio station.
The L.A. Times reported that during the interview, Parker "downplayed possibly playing for the Jazz in Salt Lake City." He also refuted a report that he has applied for student housing at Duke next year.
Other college freshmen who have already declared for this year's draft include Kansas's Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid, Indiana's Noah Vonleh, Syracuse's Tyler Ennis and UCLA's Zach LaVine.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20