ESPN report: Jabari Parker rules out going on Mormon mission, still undecided on declaring for NBA draft
Gerry Broome, AP
With the April 27 deadline looming for underclassmen to declare for the 2014 NBA draft, ESPN is reporting Duke freshman Jabari Parker is still undecided whether he will enter the draft and is planning to meet with Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski next week to discuss the situation.
During an interview Friday with ESPN LA 710 in Los Angeles, Parker, a 19-year-old Chicago native and member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, indicated he has ruled out going on a Mormon mission.
"I think I have, at this point," Parker said regarding making a decision on serving a mission, according to the L.A. Times. "It's either between returning or (going), and that's all I want to take care of."
This year's NBA draft takes place June 26.
In his freshman year at Duke, Parker averaged 19.1 points and 8.7 rebounds while shooting 50.3 percent from the field for the Blue Devils. He was the first Duke freshman to earn consensus first-team All-America honors.
"It's a very tough decision, especially potentially leaving behind my coach and the program that really helped me out this year, so I really have to keep them in consideration in this whole process," Parker told the radio station.
The L.A. Times reported that during the interview, Parker "downplayed possibly playing for the Jazz in Salt Lake City." He also refuted a report that he has applied for student housing at Duke next year.
Other college freshmen who have already declared for this year's draft include Kansas's Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid, Indiana's Noah Vonleh, Syracuse's Tyler Ennis and UCLA's Zach LaVine.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 86
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 31
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14