I have enjoyed the sports coverage in the Deseret News over the years. It is a special treat to see local high school and college athletes highlighted and to read their stories. I do, however, have a concern about the photographs of these highlighted individuals. These large posed portraits on the front page of the sports section invariably show an athlete in uniform with a solemn, serious expression that belies the enjoyment of sports participation.
Once in awhile, I would like to see an expression that says in spite of the hard work and pressure that this person is excelling at something they love! How about an enthusiastic smile, letting us know that they are having fun?
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look at the...
- In our opinion: A social media enabled...
- John Hoffmire: Does aid work? Markets, big...
- Derek B. Miller: Utah's economic development...
- Letter: Nothing is 'free'
- Letter: Citizens have a duty
- In our opinion: Tragedy in Aleppo should...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 84
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 57
- My view: A de-sexed society is a... 52
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 43
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme... 38
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 37
- In our opinion: A social media enabled... 22
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 22