I have enjoyed the sports coverage in the Deseret News over the years. It is a special treat to see local high school and college athletes highlighted and to read their stories. I do, however, have a concern about the photographs of these highlighted individuals. These large posed portraits on the front page of the sports section invariably show an athlete in uniform with a solemn, serious expression that belies the enjoyment of sports participation.
Once in awhile, I would like to see an expression that says in spite of the hard work and pressure that this person is excelling at something they love! How about an enthusiastic smile, letting us know that they are having fun?
- Jay Evensen: Be forgiving, you might live longer
- My view: Conservatives must lead the fight...
- Peter Morici: African-Americans should start...
- In our opinion: Leaders must do what leaders...
- Mike Lee: Commending Utah’s academy...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Obama's Social Security...
- Letter: Register kitchen knives
- In our opinion: Brexit and the U.K.'s new...
- Letter: Register kitchen knives 45
- Letter: Shooter's motives 31
- In our opinion: Leaders must do what... 30
- In our opinion: California considering... 27
- Letter: Carbon emissions fee 25
- Peter Morici: African-Americans should... 24
- My view: Conservatives must lead the... 21
- In our opinion: Brexit and the U.K.'s... 18