I have enjoyed the sports coverage in the Deseret News over the years. It is a special treat to see local high school and college athletes highlighted and to read their stories. I do, however, have a concern about the photographs of these highlighted individuals. These large posed portraits on the front page of the sports section invariably show an athlete in uniform with a solemn, serious expression that belies the enjoyment of sports participation.
Once in awhile, I would like to see an expression that says in spite of the hard work and pressure that this person is excelling at something they love! How about an enthusiastic smile, letting us know that they are having fun?
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- Jonathan Johnson: The truth about sales tax...
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps us strong
- In our opinion: Internet sales tax should...
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- My view: Mayor Biskupski deserves to build...
- Richard Davis: Why do I serve?
- In our opinion: National security and... 74
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 54
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 30
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 28
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 19
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: Coal and job creation 18