Risotto is a creamy, savory side dish that is simple to make
When I go out to eat, I often find myself choosing my entrée based on what the side dishes are. I love vegetables, rice and other ingredients that are usually in the background of the main dish. For me, these tasty and diverse additions are what I usually end up wanting more of.
That is why I love my Creamy Risotto and Green Beans. This dish is flavorful, with a creamy Parmesan sauce that will make any meal extra special. The green beans add a distinctive crunch that mixes perfectly with the rich risotto.
Don’t be surprised if this tasty side dish becomes the center of attention at your dinner table.
Belle’s Creamy Risotto with Green Beans and Peas
1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
½ cups frozen peas
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup Arborio rice
½ cup dry white wine (optional)
3 ½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 green onions, thinly sliced
½ cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Cook green beans and frozen peas in boiling salted water for about four minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, six to eight minutes.
Add the rice and cook, stirring, for two minutes. Add the wine and simmer until absorbed.
Add half the broth (1¾ cups) and simmer, stirring once, until absorbed about eight to 10 minutes. Add the remaining broth and simmer, stirring once, until the rice is tender and creamy about eight to 10 minutes. (If the rice is not cooked through and the mixture is dry, add more broth and continue to cook until tender.)
Stir in the green beans, peas and the scallions and cook until heated through, two to three minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and the remaining tablespoon of butter. Sprinkle with the parsley and additional Parmesan, if desired.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Daughter Ivanka Trump raises issues father...
- UTubers: Mother of 35 adopted special needs...
- The Clean Cut: Coldplay, Michael J. Fox play...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Chris Hicks: Several vintage movies make...
- Amy Choate-Nielsen: Kids live to tell the...
- 'Glamping': What is it and where can you...
- Cookbook review: 'The Lion House Cookbook'...
- Daughter Ivanka Trump raises issues... 21
- Stephen Colbert is back to take on the... 9
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 4
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful... 3
- Chris Hicks: Movies to watch over the... 3
- 'Glamping': What is it and where can... 2
- Controversy and chaos erupt during... 2
- UTubers: Mother of 35 adopted special... 1