Utah Sports Ruckus follow-up: Separate sports from school, Part 2
Some athletic programs currently governed by universities probably would not be able to survive as independent programs and therefore would be forced to adapt or shut down. While this would be sad and painful for some, it would also be a necessary result of progress.
I don’t think any athlete that was going to have a professional career in sports would lose that opportunity with these changes; and students that were playing for the love of the game, for the competition or for exercise would still have that opportunity with intramural sports.
The changes I propose may also result in less athletes being compensated with a free college education, but ultimately those that deserve to be compensated will be compensated.
That’s the American way.
Overall, the “college sports” product we enjoy so much as sports fans would improve; and there would certainly be no risk of running into a shortage of sports media for us sports addicts to consume. I do not think, as one commenter suggested, that my proposal would open the door for pornographers to gain more of a market share in the entertainment industry.
Bonding opportunities for men and boys also would not be lost or diminished, as some feared or lamented in their feedback.
Playing and watching sports has been a big part of my life. I spend hours each week playing sports with my sons and have coached most of my eldest son’s sports teams during his first six years of life. I talk to my friends and family members about sports and I write about sports. In short, I love sports.
My proposal wouldn’t change that.
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music and creative writer. He is also a wholehearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He shoots roughly 94% from the free-throw line and can be reached at: email@example.com or @nategagon.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- New Lone Peak basketball coach David Evans...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 82
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 27
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8