Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Defense contractor L-3 Communications has announced another round of layoffs.
Beginning immediately, L-3 Communication Systems-West will reduce its workforce by 2 percent, or approximately 80 salaried and hourly positions across the business.
"The effects of the challenging defense budget environment require us to make this difficult decision in order to align our employee levels with business demand," the company said in a statement on Thursday. "We remain committed to the Salt Lake City community and to our business here, which is strategically important to L-3."
All affected employees will receive severance packages and outplacement assistance. The Utah division employs approximately 3,400 people in Salt Lake City.
Since July 2013, the company has cut approximately 400 jobs over various business segments.
— Jasen Lee
- Victim of Washington Terrace homicide...
- UDOT announces road project schedule for 2015
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to dial...
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- K2 The Church's grand opening a neighborhood...
- Doug Robinson: Managing a delicate balance
- Eagle Mountain man killed in alleged domestic...
- Educators call for funding, legislation to...
- Officer in parade controversy speaks... 268
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 52
- Illinois professor could help Utah... 43
- House Speaker Greg Hughes kills hopes... 34
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 20
- Lawmakers consider academic turnaround... 17
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 17
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 16