Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Defense contractor L-3 Communications has announced another round of layoffs.
Beginning immediately, L-3 Communication Systems-West will reduce its workforce by 2 percent, or approximately 80 salaried and hourly positions across the business.
"The effects of the challenging defense budget environment require us to make this difficult decision in order to align our employee levels with business demand," the company said in a statement on Thursday. "We remain committed to the Salt Lake City community and to our business here, which is strategically important to L-3."
All affected employees will receive severance packages and outplacement assistance. The Utah division employs approximately 3,400 people in Salt Lake City.
Since July 2013, the company has cut approximately 400 jobs over various business segments.
— Jasen Lee
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Roy home destroyed in fire
- Man shot by roommate in Holladay, police say
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 17
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 12
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 8