Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Defense contractor L-3 Communications has announced another round of layoffs.
Beginning immediately, L-3 Communication Systems-West will reduce its workforce by 2 percent, or approximately 80 salaried and hourly positions across the business.
"The effects of the challenging defense budget environment require us to make this difficult decision in order to align our employee levels with business demand," the company said in a statement on Thursday. "We remain committed to the Salt Lake City community and to our business here, which is strategically important to L-3."
All affected employees will receive severance packages and outplacement assistance. The Utah division employs approximately 3,400 people in Salt Lake City.
Since July 2013, the company has cut approximately 400 jobs over various business segments.
— Jasen Lee
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Former Ute, NFL player brings holiday cheer...
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- Four being questioned in attempted murder of...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 94
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 20
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 13
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal... 11