Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Defense contractor L-3 Communications has announced another round of layoffs.
Beginning immediately, L-3 Communication Systems-West will reduce its workforce by 2 percent, or approximately 80 salaried and hourly positions across the business.
"The effects of the challenging defense budget environment require us to make this difficult decision in order to align our employee levels with business demand," the company said in a statement on Thursday. "We remain committed to the Salt Lake City community and to our business here, which is strategically important to L-3."
All affected employees will receive severance packages and outplacement assistance. The Utah division employs approximately 3,400 people in Salt Lake City.
Since July 2013, the company has cut approximately 400 jobs over various business segments.
— Jasen Lee
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 55
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 12