High school baseball: Pleasant Grove takes second game from Herriman, 12-2
PLEASANT GROVE — On a beautiful spring afternoon, Herriman traveled to Pleasant Grove to play its second region game against the Vikings.
The Vikings' defense was prepped and ready to play its second home region game of the season. With the exception of Herriman's fourth-inning hitting and scoring action, the Mustangs had a difficult time reaching base against a tough defensive stand by the Vikings during most of the afternoon.
At the end of three full innings, the Vikings were up 11-0 hoping to hold the shutout for an inning and a half more. The first three Mustang batters were not willing to let that happen.
Senior Jordan Jarvis watched two pitches go by and then slammed a drive that rolled to the left center fence, and he wheeled it all the way to third base. The next batter, Kody Jarvis, parked the second pitch to the gap in right field for a stand-up double, scoring his brother from third for Herriman's first run. The third batter, junior Colter Nordberg, reached base on a single, but speedy Kody Jarvis scored from second on a Pleasant Grove error. The next three batters flew out on pop ups and their batting was done.
The 10-run rule says that a team leading by 10 runs at the end of five innings wins the game. As Pleasant Grove came to the plate at the bottom of the fifth inning, the score was 11-2. The Vikings needed one more run to end the game. Senior Brayden Cox did most of it. With one strike and three balls against him, he hit the next pitch over the right fielder's head and ended up with a stand-up triple. Junior Ben Eldredge, who was the relief pitcher for senior Brody Blackhurst in the top of the fifth inning, took a swipe at the first pitch and the ball skirted through the first and second basemen, and Cox scored from third with the winning run as that made the score 12-2 — a 10-run game.
Coach Darrin Henry told his team, "This is no time to be congratulating each other. We have a long way to go and we still have to play the Mustangs one more time."
When asked how the rest of the competition was for him, he said, "Hey, this is Region 4! It is full of great competition and at the moment, I don't see anyone running away from anyone. We have to go out and earn everything we get, nothing is going to be handed to us."
Herriman has a 0-8 region record and 3-10 overall. Pleasant Grove has a 4-1 region record and 7-5 overall.
Both teams play each other again on Friday at Herriman High School beginning at 4 p.m.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and reports on Pleasant Grove High School varsity sports for Deseret Connect.
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school track: State meet Day 1 results
- 4A soccer: Bruins turn back Spartans to reach...
- Lafemina brothers combine for the...
- 5A tennis: Lone Peak takes first boys tennis...
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:... 4
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- 5A softball: Unranked and unheralded... 3
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school baseball: Lone Peak pulls... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school softball: 5A/4A state... 0