BYU basketball: More Cougar players are serving LDS missions before enrolling
Rose is hoping that Haws and Collinsworth, and their experience with getting back into shape after a mission, will help Chatman prepare for his first year of college basketball.
“Jordan’s got some pretty good guys to follow in Tyler and Kyle,” Rose said. “Both of those guys played before they left, so they probably have a little bit of an advantage. But Jordan is a guy who we can see that same kind of dedication and determination as far as him getting his body ready to go in the fall. ... It’s so hard for these guys to get their bodies into the best shape of their lives going into their freshman year. Then it all goes for two years and they have to do it again. No disrespect to their conditioning in high school — I know how difficult that is, too — but this is another level. It will be nice to see these guys to get into that top-level conditioning shape, then continue it for four straight years.”
Chatman’s dad, Jeff, who played at BYU in the 1980s, said Jordan will follow the blueprint that Haws established after he returned home from a mission. Haws led the West Coast Conference in scoring as a sophomore, just months after coming home.
“Tyler’s going to help him a lot. The biggest thing is, (Jordan) doesn’t have to rush his way back. He has plenty of time to get back into basketball shape,” Jeff Chatman said. “The problem people have when they get back late, like in July or August, they feel like they have to rush back, and they push their bodies too far. That’s when they get injured. Tyler and Marty (Haws) are the ones that set the standard that everyone’s following now — get back early in the year, take two months off to not play or scrimmage with basketball, but work on conditioning, work on lifting, work on skills like shooting, dribbling and passing. But wait two months to play. After those two months, play just one or two games and work your way slowly back into playing. It worked well for Tyler.”
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 63
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21