Sandy resident Mike Weir hopes to find some of his old Masters magic this week at Augusta
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
If you look at the odds for golfers winning this week’s Masters Tournament, you’ll find Mike Weir right near the bottom at 1,000 to 1.
That’s not much respect for a former champion who ranks No. 22 on the PGA's all-time money winner’s list with more that $27 million in earnings. But the way the 43-year-old Sandy resident has been playing the past few years, it makes sense that he’s not expected to contend for another green jacket.
“I’m definitely under the radar,” Weir said in a recent conference call from Texas. “Hopefully I can play some good golf the next weeks, and (Augusta) is obviously a course where I have some good vibes.”
Weir, who has a lifetime exemption to play in the Masters because of his 2003 victory, will tee off at 7:02 a.m. MDT Thursday with Matt Every and Robert Castro. On Friday he plays with the same pair at 10:20 a.m.
The former BYU golfer hasn’t played very good golf since injuring his elbow four years ago. In 2012, he didn’t make a single cut in 14 tournaments. After making six straight cuts at the Masters from 2005-10, Weir has missed the cut at Augusta the last three years. Last year, he had a promising start with a 72, but shot a 79 in the second round.
This year, Weir has made just one cut since January. Still, he has hope that he can find some of the old magic this week.
“My game’s been good,” he said. “I really think I can contend. I still believe in myself more than anything.”
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 67
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 35
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28