Sandy resident Mike Weir hopes to find some of his old Masters magic this week at Augusta
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
If you look at the odds for golfers winning this week’s Masters Tournament, you’ll find Mike Weir right near the bottom at 1,000 to 1.
That’s not much respect for a former champion who ranks No. 22 on the PGA's all-time money winner’s list with more that $27 million in earnings. But the way the 43-year-old Sandy resident has been playing the past few years, it makes sense that he’s not expected to contend for another green jacket.
“I’m definitely under the radar,” Weir said in a recent conference call from Texas. “Hopefully I can play some good golf the next weeks, and (Augusta) is obviously a course where I have some good vibes.”
Weir, who has a lifetime exemption to play in the Masters because of his 2003 victory, will tee off at 7:02 a.m. MDT Thursday with Matt Every and Robert Castro. On Friday he plays with the same pair at 10:20 a.m.
The former BYU golfer hasn’t played very good golf since injuring his elbow four years ago. In 2012, he didn’t make a single cut in 14 tournaments. After making six straight cuts at the Masters from 2005-10, Weir has missed the cut at Augusta the last three years. Last year, he had a promising start with a 72, but shot a 79 in the second round.
This year, Weir has made just one cut since January. Still, he has hope that he can find some of the old magic this week.
“My game’s been good,” he said. “I really think I can contend. I still believe in myself more than anything.”
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- BYU football quiz: How well do you know the...
- Jazz notes: Respect high between Coach...
- Utes return home and handle Huskies, 90-82,...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 44
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33