Sandy resident Mike Weir hopes to find some of his old Masters magic this week at Augusta
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
If you look at the odds for golfers winning this week’s Masters Tournament, you’ll find Mike Weir right near the bottom at 1,000 to 1.
That’s not much respect for a former champion who ranks No. 22 on the PGA's all-time money winner’s list with more that $27 million in earnings. But the way the 43-year-old Sandy resident has been playing the past few years, it makes sense that he’s not expected to contend for another green jacket.
“I’m definitely under the radar,” Weir said in a recent conference call from Texas. “Hopefully I can play some good golf the next weeks, and (Augusta) is obviously a course where I have some good vibes.”
Weir, who has a lifetime exemption to play in the Masters because of his 2003 victory, will tee off at 7:02 a.m. MDT Thursday with Matt Every and Robert Castro. On Friday he plays with the same pair at 10:20 a.m.
The former BYU golfer hasn’t played very good golf since injuring his elbow four years ago. In 2012, he didn’t make a single cut in 14 tournaments. After making six straight cuts at the Masters from 2005-10, Weir has missed the cut at Augusta the last three years. Last year, he had a promising start with a 72, but shot a 79 in the second round.
This year, Weir has made just one cut since January. Still, he has hope that he can find some of the old magic this week.
“My game’s been good,” he said. “I really think I can contend. I still believe in myself more than anything.”
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 290
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 53
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 42
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37