OGDEN — A 20-year-old murder case received some closure Wednesday when a man admitted that he brutally killed a 92-year-old woman at a retirement home.
Stephen Ellenwood, 41, pleaded guilty to aggravated murder, a first-degree felony. Prosecutors could have sought the death penalty in the case.
Ellenwood was arrested in Alaska last summer after the tireless work of current and retired Ogden police officers following the sexual assault and murder of Mae Odle at an Ogden retirement home in May 1993.
Ellenwood, who was 21 at the time, had broken into a room at the Adams Place by climbing into a window. An employee checking up on Odle surprised Ellenwood, who was pulling up his pants just before he fled down the hall past other employees, police said.
Odle was taken to a local hospital where she died six days later due to blunt force injuries to her head and chest.
Ellenwood was also accused of sexually assaulting another woman shortly after the Odle incident, but no arrests on either crime were made until last year.
Ellenwood has been in and out of prison for unrelated crimes over the past 20 years. New DNA technology allowed police to match Ellenwood to the case, which had gone cold.
Prosecutors on Wednesday said they will recommend that Ellenwood serve life in prison without the possibility of parole. He will be sentenced on June 10.
— Wendy Leonard
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12