BYU men’s track hopes to qualify more athletes for the upcoming regional meet as the teams travels to Los Angeles this weekend to compete in the Rafer Johnson/Jackie Joyner-Kersee Invitational hosted by UCLA.
“There should be a lot of good competition this weekend,” head coach Ed Eyestone said. “It’s a great opportunity for our sprinters, jumpers and throwers to make an impact. The biggest goal is to qualify for regionals.”
To qualify for the regional meet, athletes have to finish in the top 48 in their event in the region. The Cougars currently have 17 athletes with times and marks that would have put them in last year’s top 48 in their respective events, a good indicator for where they sit in the current qualifications.
Dakoda John and Zachary Blackham lead BYU in the high jump, as Sam Rockwood is looking to post a regional qualifying mark. Zachary Stetler and Kyle Baker anchor a strong group of throwers, as both have posted qualifying marks. Craig Merkley and Aaron Clark hope to follow suit this weekend.
Coming off a season-best performance at the Stanford Invitational, Mark Carlson will lead the BYU sprinters into a very competitive environment. Fellow competitors UCLA and TCU each have rich sprinting traditions. Korey Smith and Sean Adams are other key contributors for the Cougars.
Live results for the meet can be found through the event page on BYU's athletic website.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- BYU football: Certain games on the schedule...
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- BYU basketball officially adds transfer guard...
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to transfer to UVU
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 56
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 46
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 18