Utah Jazz: Artist-athlete Jeremy Evans puts work on display
Evans, who recently helped create a community mural with Utah youths at The Road Home, is most proud of the painting of his wife, Korrie. On the other hand, he was less thrilled about the portrait he did a few years ago of his first NBA coach, Jerry Sloan. Even so, he had the “very surprised” Hall of Famer autograph it.
“I still have the picture (of Sloan),” Evans said. “I wasn’t proud of it, did it in maybe two hours (but) I didn’t know how long I was going to be here. He knew who it was, so that’s the good thing.”
The 26-year-old doesn’t get much time to delve into complex, time-consuming art projects during the basketball year, but he plans on doing just that to wind down from his fourth NBA season in the next few weeks.
“I just have fun doing it,” Evans said.
He might add to his animal collection with an elephant or perhaps do a landscape portrait from “livestock to land” pictures he’s taken throughout rural Utah on Junior Jazz trips (an annual tradition he'll do again this summer, by the way).
Evans smiled when asked if he’s better on the court or the canvas.
“Oh, that’s pretty tough because I still feel like I have so much to grow in both areas,” he said. “I feel like I can be great in both and I’m not going to stop until I get there.”
As much as he likes Evans’ art work, Hayward didn’t have as hard of a time answering that question. After all, Evans doesn’t make money doing art, but he is making a sweet living playing hoops.
“He is in the NBA. That’s the highest level you can get to in basketball. I’d probably have to say that,” Hayward said. “But his art’s pretty good too.”
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 98
- Morning links: National college... 96
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 32
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5