California measles cases spark immunization discussions in Utah
She doesn't describe herself as being against vaccinating children. For now, she has control of the environment of her 2 ½-year-old and 6-month-old. Hoggan said she and her husband will discuss vaccines when their children are old enough for school.
"Vaccines have helped so much with epidemics of so many different diseases," she said. "But sometimes I think that it's a little excessive."
Stevenson said vaccines are the best way to prevent disease, especially when it comes to measles.
"Measles in particular is about 90 percent contagious," she said. "So if you have an individual who's not been vaccinated and they get exposed to a person with measles, there is a very high likelihood that they're going to contract the disease."
Stevenson said a number of vaccines are given to children in their first two years of life.
"We don't have many families in Utah that choose not to vaccinate their children," she said. "The exemption rate hovers around 3 percent here in Salt Lake County."
Utah ranked 12th in the nation for the number of 2-year-olds fully immunized, according to the state's 2013 Immunization Coverage Report.
With an immunity level of 90 percent, Stevenson said there is going to be far less disease spread within those communities.
"Many of these diseases have very serious consequences, including measles," she said. "And so our recommendation is that individuals protect themselves and protect others by being vaccinated."
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Duct tape prom attire earns Utah teens $5,000...
- Salt Lake City mayor's spokesman placed on...
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 303
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 142
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 46
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36