UVU golf: Nyhus and Mathison lead UVU on final day of Cowgirl Classic
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
Redshirt freshman Kimberly Nyhus and junior Heather Mathison led the Utah Valley University women's golf team during Tuesday's final round of the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic on Tuesday. The pair of Wolverines carded third-round scores of 75 and 77, respectively, at UVU's final regular season tournament of the year.
After shooting an 83 and 86 during Monday's first two rounds, Nyhus responded during Tuesday's final 18 by recording a 3-over-par 75. Nyhus finished the tournament in a tie for 82nd place with a 244 (+28), while Mathison's 5-over-77 on Tuesday was good enough to make her UVU's top finisher at the Classic as she finished in a tie for 74th place with a 241 (+25). Besides her 77 during the final round, Mathison also recorded scores of 79 and 85 on Monday.
Junior Brooke Whittaker, who led the Wolverines after 36 holes, carded an 87 on Tuesday to drop her into a tie for 77th place at the Classic with a total of 242 (+26). Whittaker also posted scores of 74 and 81 on Monday.
As a team the Wolverines finished the tournament in 20th place with a total of 968. Fellow WAC foe New Mexico State took home the tournament title with a 23-over-par, while Santa Clara finished second at +32.
The two-day Wyoming Cowgirl Classic was contested at the Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa, Ariz.
With the regular season now wrapped up for UVU, the Wolverines now prepare for their first trip to the WAC Championships that will be held April 25-27 at the Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Ariz.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 78
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14