UVU golf: Nyhus and Mathison lead UVU on final day of Cowgirl Classic
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
Redshirt freshman Kimberly Nyhus and junior Heather Mathison led the Utah Valley University women's golf team during Tuesday's final round of the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic on Tuesday. The pair of Wolverines carded third-round scores of 75 and 77, respectively, at UVU's final regular season tournament of the year.
After shooting an 83 and 86 during Monday's first two rounds, Nyhus responded during Tuesday's final 18 by recording a 3-over-par 75. Nyhus finished the tournament in a tie for 82nd place with a 244 (+28), while Mathison's 5-over-77 on Tuesday was good enough to make her UVU's top finisher at the Classic as she finished in a tie for 74th place with a 241 (+25). Besides her 77 during the final round, Mathison also recorded scores of 79 and 85 on Monday.
Junior Brooke Whittaker, who led the Wolverines after 36 holes, carded an 87 on Tuesday to drop her into a tie for 77th place at the Classic with a total of 242 (+26). Whittaker also posted scores of 74 and 81 on Monday.
As a team the Wolverines finished the tournament in 20th place with a total of 968. Fellow WAC foe New Mexico State took home the tournament title with a 23-over-par, while Santa Clara finished second at +32.
The two-day Wyoming Cowgirl Classic was contested at the Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa, Ariz.
With the regular season now wrapped up for UVU, the Wolverines now prepare for their first trip to the WAC Championships that will be held April 25-27 at the Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Ariz.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 78
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35