Cole Ogden tied for second to lead the BYU men's golf team to a shared second place finish at the Cowboy Classic on Tuesday.
"It was an exciting day," BYU men's golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "We got off to a great start and that's what we needed to be in contention. We had our chance to win but couldn't hold it together."
BYU tied for second with Colorado at 2-under-par and trailed No. 11 Oklahoma, which finished 9-under-par, by seven strokes in the 54-hole tournament.
Ogden finished 5-under-par with three birdies and an eagle in the first five holes of the final round. He had four birdies on the day to tie second with Colorado's David Oraee and trailed Oklahoma's Michael Gellerman for first place by a single stroke.
"Cole played phenomenal," Brockbank said. "It was an incredible week for him and we had a chance to win because of him."
BYU finished ahead of rival Utah (+9) by 11 strokes and West Coast Conference foes Gonzaga (+20) and Santa Clara (+20) by 22 strokes.
"I think we're very prepared for the [WCC] tournament and we need to have our best stuff," Brockbank said. "We're excited about the opportunity."
The Cougars compete in the West Coast Conference tournament Monday through Wednesday at the Gold Mountain Golf Club in Bremerton, Wash.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- BYU basketball officially adds transfer guard...
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to transfer to UVU
- College football countdown No. 36: BYU...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- The Clean Cut: New BYU football video... 15