Cole Ogden tied for second to lead the BYU men's golf team to a shared second place finish at the Cowboy Classic on Tuesday.
"It was an exciting day," BYU men's golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "We got off to a great start and that's what we needed to be in contention. We had our chance to win but couldn't hold it together."
BYU tied for second with Colorado at 2-under-par and trailed No. 11 Oklahoma, which finished 9-under-par, by seven strokes in the 54-hole tournament.
Ogden finished 5-under-par with three birdies and an eagle in the first five holes of the final round. He had four birdies on the day to tie second with Colorado's David Oraee and trailed Oklahoma's Michael Gellerman for first place by a single stroke.
"Cole played phenomenal," Brockbank said. "It was an incredible week for him and we had a chance to win because of him."
BYU finished ahead of rival Utah (+9) by 11 strokes and West Coast Conference foes Gonzaga (+20) and Santa Clara (+20) by 22 strokes.
"I think we're very prepared for the [WCC] tournament and we need to have our best stuff," Brockbank said. "We're excited about the opportunity."
The Cougars compete in the West Coast Conference tournament Monday through Wednesday at the Gold Mountain Golf Club in Bremerton, Wash.
- College football predictions: How will 2014...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars So'oto,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall,...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Peavler: Why the UConn game won't be a repeat...
- BYU offense looking for much better...
- BYU football: Jordan Johnson and Robertson...
- Rock On: Getting real at BYU, Weber State
- College football predictions: How will... 60
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36
- Cougars' 2014 schedule a far cry from... 31
- BYU football: Taysom Hill's experience,... 30
- Sports BLT: BYU fan gets creative with... 29
- Dick Harmon: 5 former BYU quarterbacks... 25
- Bronco Mendenhall feels re-energized... 25