Cole Ogden tied for second to lead the BYU men's golf team to a shared second place finish at the Cowboy Classic on Tuesday.
"It was an exciting day," BYU men's golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "We got off to a great start and that's what we needed to be in contention. We had our chance to win but couldn't hold it together."
BYU tied for second with Colorado at 2-under-par and trailed No. 11 Oklahoma, which finished 9-under-par, by seven strokes in the 54-hole tournament.
Ogden finished 5-under-par with three birdies and an eagle in the first five holes of the final round. He had four birdies on the day to tie second with Colorado's David Oraee and trailed Oklahoma's Michael Gellerman for first place by a single stroke.
"Cole played phenomenal," Brockbank said. "It was an incredible week for him and we had a chance to win because of him."
BYU finished ahead of rival Utah (+9) by 11 strokes and West Coast Conference foes Gonzaga (+20) and Santa Clara (+20) by 22 strokes.
"I think we're very prepared for the [WCC] tournament and we need to have our best stuff," Brockbank said. "We're excited about the opportunity."
The Cougars compete in the West Coast Conference tournament Monday through Wednesday at the Gold Mountain Golf Club in Bremerton, Wash.
- Quiz: How much do you really know about BYU...
- BYU football media day: Live coverage
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: How well do you remember BYU's 1984...
- BYU baseball: season summary recaps national...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on the...
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan...
- Sitake making transition from longtime...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 168
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 49
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 48
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15