Chow didn’t learn this lesson during all those years with Edwards, but he has a lot of company. Many coaches never figure out what Edwards realized. The late Rick Majerus was always having a falling out with some assistant, reporter or administrator. Urban Meyer was the media’s darling, but when a reporter quoted one of his players (accurately) saying something he didn’t like, he went all tough-guy on him and, after giving him a condescending lecture, threatened to ban him from practice.
Nolan Richardson, the former Arkansas basketball coach, was the angriest, most disagreeable coach I ever met. He was even angry and confrontational immediately after winning the national championship. John Thompson and Bobby Knight pretty much spent their entire careers in bad moods and thought they were the smartest people in the universe. In the case of Knight, he is remembered more for his poor behavior than for the championships he won. Every coach (and athlete) should remember that.
What do these guys have to be upset about? Chow has made millions of dollars to coach football! He was among the highest paid assistant coaches in the country. For a time, he was the most famous offensive coordinator in the country. He won national championships and coached Heisman Trophy winners.
Despite his success, he has bounced around from job to job since leaving BYU (he reportedly had a falling out with his fellow USC coaches). After next season, it’s possible he won’t have to worry about media interviews anymore — just job interviews. Maybe he’ll look back and wonder why he didn’t enjoy his run while it lasted.
Doug Robinson's columns run on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Email: email@example.com
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19