Chow didn’t learn this lesson during all those years with Edwards, but he has a lot of company. Many coaches never figure out what Edwards realized. The late Rick Majerus was always having a falling out with some assistant, reporter or administrator. Urban Meyer was the media’s darling, but when a reporter quoted one of his players (accurately) saying something he didn’t like, he went all tough-guy on him and, after giving him a condescending lecture, threatened to ban him from practice.
Nolan Richardson, the former Arkansas basketball coach, was the angriest, most disagreeable coach I ever met. He was even angry and confrontational immediately after winning the national championship. John Thompson and Bobby Knight pretty much spent their entire careers in bad moods and thought they were the smartest people in the universe. In the case of Knight, he is remembered more for his poor behavior than for the championships he won. Every coach (and athlete) should remember that.
What do these guys have to be upset about? Chow has made millions of dollars to coach football! He was among the highest paid assistant coaches in the country. For a time, he was the most famous offensive coordinator in the country. He won national championships and coached Heisman Trophy winners.
Despite his success, he has bounced around from job to job since leaving BYU (he reportedly had a falling out with his fellow USC coaches). After next season, it’s possible he won’t have to worry about media interviews anymore — just job interviews. Maybe he’ll look back and wonder why he didn’t enjoy his run while it lasted.
Doug Robinson's columns run on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Email: email@example.com
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18