Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah basketball is bidding farewell to a couple of freshmen from last season — one permanently, the other for two years.
Head coach Larry Krystkowiak confirmed that small forward Ahmad Fields is transferring at the end of the semester and that guard Parker Van Dyke has accepted an LDS Church mission call to Birmingham, Ala.
Fields appeared in 19 games last season, averaging 3.3 points and 2.1 rebounds. Van Dyke played in 23 games and averaged 2.5 points.
The duo join the graduating Renan Lenz as departing scholarship players for the Utes, who went 21-12 and reached the NIT. Four recruits — Brekkott Chapman, Kyle Kuzma, Chris Reyes and Isaiah Wright — are scheduled to join the program next season.
Last week, Utah athletics director Chris Hill confirmed he has reached an agreement on a new five-year contract with Krystkowiak. The Utes are coming off their first winning season since 2008-09. Before leaving for Dallas to watch the Final Four, Krystkowiak released a statement on the matter through the Utah sports information department.
“Nothing has been signed as details are still being worked out. However, this is something Dr. Hill and I have been speaking about for some time,” Krystkowiak said. “I’m very excited about the commitment from the University of Utah and I love the situation here. We are on the cusp of doing some special things and I’m proud to be a part of it.”
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 46
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 43
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30