Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah basketball is bidding farewell to a couple of freshmen from last season — one permanently, the other for two years.
Head coach Larry Krystkowiak confirmed that small forward Ahmad Fields is transferring at the end of the semester and that guard Parker Van Dyke has accepted an LDS Church mission call to Birmingham, Ala.
Fields appeared in 19 games last season, averaging 3.3 points and 2.1 rebounds. Van Dyke played in 23 games and averaged 2.5 points.
The duo join the graduating Renan Lenz as departing scholarship players for the Utes, who went 21-12 and reached the NIT. Four recruits — Brekkott Chapman, Kyle Kuzma, Chris Reyes and Isaiah Wright — are scheduled to join the program next season.
Last week, Utah athletics director Chris Hill confirmed he has reached an agreement on a new five-year contract with Krystkowiak. The Utes are coming off their first winning season since 2008-09. Before leaving for Dallas to watch the Final Four, Krystkowiak released a statement on the matter through the Utah sports information department.
“Nothing has been signed as details are still being worked out. However, this is something Dr. Hill and I have been speaking about for some time,” Krystkowiak said. “I’m very excited about the commitment from the University of Utah and I love the situation here. We are on the cusp of doing some special things and I’m proud to be a part of it.”
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 115
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 21
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21