Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah basketball is bidding farewell to a couple of freshmen from last season — one permanently, the other for two years.
Head coach Larry Krystkowiak confirmed that small forward Ahmad Fields is transferring at the end of the semester and that guard Parker Van Dyke has accepted an LDS Church mission call to Birmingham, Ala.
Fields appeared in 19 games last season, averaging 3.3 points and 2.1 rebounds. Van Dyke played in 23 games and averaged 2.5 points.
The duo join the graduating Renan Lenz as departing scholarship players for the Utes, who went 21-12 and reached the NIT. Four recruits — Brekkott Chapman, Kyle Kuzma, Chris Reyes and Isaiah Wright — are scheduled to join the program next season.
Last week, Utah athletics director Chris Hill confirmed he has reached an agreement on a new five-year contract with Krystkowiak. The Utes are coming off their first winning season since 2008-09. Before leaving for Dallas to watch the Final Four, Krystkowiak released a statement on the matter through the Utah sports information department.
“Nothing has been signed as details are still being worked out. However, this is something Dr. Hill and I have been speaking about for some time,” Krystkowiak said. “I’m very excited about the commitment from the University of Utah and I love the situation here. We are on the cusp of doing some special things and I’m proud to be a part of it.”
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26