University of Utah student government: Changes are coming to Utah fight song
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Changes might be coming to the University of Utah's fight song, "Utah Man."
The Utah Daily Chronicle reported that the Associated Students of University of Utah Assembly and Senate passed a joint resolution to make unspecified changes to the song.
The references to Utah Man and "our coeds are the fairest" are the mostly likely targets for change, but many other school organizations have to weigh in and give their approval before any changes become final.
“I’ve kind of always also felt that (the wording of the fight song) was a little male-centric and not inclusive,” ASUU president Sam Ortiz said in the Chronicle's story. “The premise is, the song isn’t inclusive — how can we make it inclusive?”
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26