University of Utah student government: Changes are coming to Utah fight song
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Changes might be coming to the University of Utah's fight song, "Utah Man."
The Utah Daily Chronicle reported that the Associated Students of University of Utah Assembly and Senate passed a joint resolution to make unspecified changes to the song.
The references to Utah Man and "our coeds are the fairest" are the mostly likely targets for change, but many other school organizations have to weigh in and give their approval before any changes become final.
“I’ve kind of always also felt that (the wording of the fight song) was a little male-centric and not inclusive,” ASUU president Sam Ortiz said in the Chronicle's story. “The premise is, the song isn’t inclusive — how can we make it inclusive?”
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 67
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28