University of Utah student government: Changes are coming to Utah fight song
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Changes might be coming to the University of Utah's fight song, "Utah Man."
The Utah Daily Chronicle reported that the Associated Students of University of Utah Assembly and Senate passed a joint resolution to make unspecified changes to the song.
The references to Utah Man and "our coeds are the fairest" are the mostly likely targets for change, but many other school organizations have to weigh in and give their approval before any changes become final.
“I’ve kind of always also felt that (the wording of the fight song) was a little male-centric and not inclusive,” ASUU president Sam Ortiz said in the Chronicle's story. “The premise is, the song isn’t inclusive — how can we make it inclusive?”
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 115
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 21
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21