UVU golf: Whittaker leads Wolverines after day one at Wyoming Cowgirl Classic
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
Junior Brooke Whittaker leads the Utah Valley University women's golf team at 11-over-par after two rounds of play at the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic on Monday. The two-day, 54-hole Classic is being contested at the Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa, Ariz.
After carding a 2-over-74 during the first 18 holes of play on Monday morning, Whittaker found herself in a tie for ninth place. The Wolverine junior followed that up by recorded a 9-over-81 in the afternoon to end the day in a tie for 41st place (155). En route to her strong opening day, Whittaker tallied six birdies, which included four during the opening round.
The Wolverines, who entered the second round in 16th place, finished the day in 20th place at 75-over-par (651). UVU enters Tuesday's final round just nine shots out of 16th place and four back of Northern Colorado for 19th and six back of Montana State for 18th. Fellow WAC member New Mexico State leads the tournament after 36 holes of play at +17, while Boise State sits in second (+22) and Lamar in third (+23).
Fellow junior Heather Mathison and freshman Monica Yeates were Utah Valley's second and third finishers on Monday as they ended the day in 82nd and 85th places, respectively. Mathison sits in 82nd after carding a 79 and 85 (164), while Yeates is in a tie for 85th with a 166 (80 and 86).
Junior Hannah Herman and redshirt freshman Kimberly Nyhus rounded out UVU's top five as they ended the opening day in ties for 92nd and 95th, respectively. One shot separates the two as Herman is in 92nd with a 168 (85 and 83) and Nyhus is in 95th with a 169 (83 and 86).
The Wyoming Cowgirl Classic, which marks UVU's final tune-up before the WAC Championships, concludes Tuesday. The final 18 holes of play begins Tuesday at 8:45 a.m. MT. Live results will be available by visiting GolfStat's website.
The 2014 WAC Women's Golf Championships will then take place on April 25-27 at the Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Ariz.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU golf: Utah Valley remains in third place...
- UVU golf: 3 UVU golfers finish in top 10 at...
- Orem woman makes history by joining Army...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop twin bill at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines knock off No. 26...
- UVU softball: Utah Valley erupts for 25 runs...
- Orem woman makes history by joining... 17
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep... 0
- UVU golf: Utah Valley remains in third... 0
- UVU golf: 3 UVU golfers finish in top... 0