BOUNTIFUL — A Layton man accused of shaking and killing his girlfriend's crying child has been ordered to stand trial in the 11-month-old's death.
Tyler Ryan Geary, 25, was ordered Monday to stand trial for child abuse homicide, a first-degree felony, by 2nd District Judge Thomas Kay following a hearing on the evidence.
On Sept. 10, Geary was watching 11-month-old Aliyah Faye Wild, the daughter of his girlfriend, Jennifer Wild, at their Layton residence while she was at work. After apparently becoming frustrated with the infant's crying, Geary picked up Aliyah "by the armpits with the child facing him," and shook her for approximately 30 to 40 seconds in an effort to get her to stop crying, charging documents state.
"Defendant then dropped the child on a bed. At this point, the child was unconscious. Defendant again shook the child, but the child was unresponsive," according to the charges.
The infant underwent emergency surgery to try to relieve the pressure on her brain from swelling. She was taken off life support and died seven days later, on Sept. 17.
An arraignment hearing is set for April 17.
— Emiley Morgan
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13