BOUNTIFUL — A Layton man accused of shaking and killing his girlfriend's crying child has been ordered to stand trial in the 11-month-old's death.
Tyler Ryan Geary, 25, was ordered Monday to stand trial for child abuse homicide, a first-degree felony, by 2nd District Judge Thomas Kay following a hearing on the evidence.
On Sept. 10, Geary was watching 11-month-old Aliyah Faye Wild, the daughter of his girlfriend, Jennifer Wild, at their Layton residence while she was at work. After apparently becoming frustrated with the infant's crying, Geary picked up Aliyah "by the armpits with the child facing him," and shook her for approximately 30 to 40 seconds in an effort to get her to stop crying, charging documents state.
"Defendant then dropped the child on a bed. At this point, the child was unconscious. Defendant again shook the child, but the child was unresponsive," according to the charges.
The infant underwent emergency surgery to try to relieve the pressure on her brain from swelling. She was taken off life support and died seven days later, on Sept. 17.
An arraignment hearing is set for April 17.
— Emiley Morgan
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- 2 killed in Uintah County crash identified as...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Ogden police shoot dog that was... 10
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 8