BOUNTIFUL — A Layton man accused of shaking and killing his girlfriend's crying child has been ordered to stand trial in the 11-month-old's death.
Tyler Ryan Geary, 25, was ordered Monday to stand trial for child abuse homicide, a first-degree felony, by 2nd District Judge Thomas Kay following a hearing on the evidence.
On Sept. 10, Geary was watching 11-month-old Aliyah Faye Wild, the daughter of his girlfriend, Jennifer Wild, at their Layton residence while she was at work. After apparently becoming frustrated with the infant's crying, Geary picked up Aliyah "by the armpits with the child facing him," and shook her for approximately 30 to 40 seconds in an effort to get her to stop crying, charging documents state.
"Defendant then dropped the child on a bed. At this point, the child was unconscious. Defendant again shook the child, but the child was unresponsive," according to the charges.
The infant underwent emergency surgery to try to relieve the pressure on her brain from swelling. She was taken off life support and died seven days later, on Sept. 17.
An arraignment hearing is set for April 17.
— Emiley Morgan
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 36
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17