BOUNTIFUL — A Layton man accused of shaking and killing his girlfriend's crying child has been ordered to stand trial in the 11-month-old's death.
Tyler Ryan Geary, 25, was ordered Monday to stand trial for child abuse homicide, a first-degree felony, by 2nd District Judge Thomas Kay following a hearing on the evidence.
On Sept. 10, Geary was watching 11-month-old Aliyah Faye Wild, the daughter of his girlfriend, Jennifer Wild, at their Layton residence while she was at work. After apparently becoming frustrated with the infant's crying, Geary picked up Aliyah "by the armpits with the child facing him," and shook her for approximately 30 to 40 seconds in an effort to get her to stop crying, charging documents state.
"Defendant then dropped the child on a bed. At this point, the child was unconscious. Defendant again shook the child, but the child was unresponsive," according to the charges.
The infant underwent emergency surgery to try to relieve the pressure on her brain from swelling. She was taken off life support and died seven days later, on Sept. 17.
An arraignment hearing is set for April 17.
— Emiley Morgan
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 32
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11