BOUNTIFUL — A Layton man accused of shaking and killing his girlfriend's crying child has been ordered to stand trial in the 11-month-old's death.
Tyler Ryan Geary, 25, was ordered Monday to stand trial for child abuse homicide, a first-degree felony, by 2nd District Judge Thomas Kay following a hearing on the evidence.
On Sept. 10, Geary was watching 11-month-old Aliyah Faye Wild, the daughter of his girlfriend, Jennifer Wild, at their Layton residence while she was at work. After apparently becoming frustrated with the infant's crying, Geary picked up Aliyah "by the armpits with the child facing him," and shook her for approximately 30 to 40 seconds in an effort to get her to stop crying, charging documents state.
"Defendant then dropped the child on a bed. At this point, the child was unconscious. Defendant again shook the child, but the child was unresponsive," according to the charges.
The infant underwent emergency surgery to try to relieve the pressure on her brain from swelling. She was taken off life support and died seven days later, on Sept. 17.
An arraignment hearing is set for April 17.
— Emiley Morgan
- Sandy officer shoots, critically injures man...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Heavy rain damages roads, floods basements in...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's running...
- The truth about addiction
- Man killed by TRAX train after wheelchair...
- Stephanie Nielson wanted to not just survive,...
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 67
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 48
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Chris Stewart endorses presidential... 18