He might have asked the bus driver to stop 100 yards before my driveway.
He might have jumped onto the front seat and turned to address his classmates.
With inspirational music swelling in the background, he would have raised his hands and shouted, “My friends! This must end today! Why are we doing this? We should be kinder to one another. We should accept one another and be friends! Change starts with us!”
All of the students would slowly begin to clap until all were chanting his name and cheering Roy’s efforts to heal the bus. He would smile humbly, wave them off and take his seat.
Roy did none of those things.
Perhaps recognizing his unofficial role as a popular and likable leader, he led by example.
No teachers involved, no reports filed, no lengthy conferences or interventions. Just a simple act of kindness. A moment that had been noticed, consciously or not, then repeated by others.
I can’t say if anyone else’s life was changed that day, but I do know that I’m different today because of him.
One example of kindness.
Sometimes I like to think back to that boy hiding behind a tree in the woods. I think there might be a little bit of him in all of us. It seems everyone has those rough days when they either feel invisible or wish they could be.
But I also think there’s a little bit of Roy in all of us, too. It’s that quiet willingness to say, “Hey, I’ve got room for you. Come sit.”
I bet there are people in your world and mine who needs us to see them today. They need us to wake our inner Roy and pat that empty seat next to us.
Come on; let’s get on that bus.
Jason Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of 10 books, including "Christmas Jars" and "The Wednesday Letters." Learn more at jasonfwright.com, or connect on Facebook at facebook.com/jfwbooks, or by email at email@example.com
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- Mormons on social media react to Elder...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but serves...
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use social...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- Watch: Elder David A. Bednar speaks about the...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 51
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but... 38
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 37
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 35
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland posts picture... 15
- New Harmony: Mustering a mustard seed... 10
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple... 8