He might have asked the bus driver to stop 100 yards before my driveway.
He might have jumped onto the front seat and turned to address his classmates.
With inspirational music swelling in the background, he would have raised his hands and shouted, “My friends! This must end today! Why are we doing this? We should be kinder to one another. We should accept one another and be friends! Change starts with us!”
All of the students would slowly begin to clap until all were chanting his name and cheering Roy’s efforts to heal the bus. He would smile humbly, wave them off and take his seat.
Roy did none of those things.
Perhaps recognizing his unofficial role as a popular and likable leader, he led by example.
No teachers involved, no reports filed, no lengthy conferences or interventions. Just a simple act of kindness. A moment that had been noticed, consciously or not, then repeated by others.
I can’t say if anyone else’s life was changed that day, but I do know that I’m different today because of him.
One example of kindness.
Sometimes I like to think back to that boy hiding behind a tree in the woods. I think there might be a little bit of him in all of us. It seems everyone has those rough days when they either feel invisible or wish they could be.
But I also think there’s a little bit of Roy in all of us, too. It’s that quiet willingness to say, “Hey, I’ve got room for you. Come sit.”
I bet there are people in your world and mine who needs us to see them today. They need us to wake our inner Roy and pat that empty seat next to us.
Come on; let’s get on that bus.
Jason Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of 10 books, including "Christmas Jars" and "The Wednesday Letters." Learn more at jasonfwright.com, or connect on Facebook at facebook.com/jfwbooks, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Son shares story of miraculous reunion with...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal, 'has...
- Is your financial house in order? 10...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph Smith's vision of...
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares details...
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right to...
- Lindsey Stirling's father responds to...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the Mormon...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph Smith's... 68
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the... 36
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 30
- Notre Dame case raises question of who... 23
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares... 19
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right... 17
- Is your financial house in order? 10... 15
- 5 faith facts about Rick Santorum:... 14