Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
It was another big week across the state for track & field athletes in Utah, with 12 of the state’s top performances in 2014 of the season posted.
Eight were recorded at the Alpha Invitational at Timpanogos High School on Friday, with two more falling at the Herriman Invitational and then two more at the Desert Hills Invitational.
Hillcrest hurdler Ariana Williams probably had the best week out everyone, recording the state’s best time in both the 100 and 300 hurdles at the Alpha Invitational.
Jordan junior Austin Kafentzis came within three feet of the state record in the javelin with a throw of 198’06 at the Alpha Invitational as well.
Individuals are only listed once if they have multiple top-10 results in the same event and wind times are not included.
With big meets at San Juan, Stansbury, Dixie, Logan, Carbon and Copper Hills this week, along with several others across the state, expect a lot more shake-up in the top 10 performances list next week.
Note for coaches, if one of your athletes has a top-10 performance that isn’t listed, please contact prep editor James Edward at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Boys top performances
10.82 — Jonah Trinnaman, American Fork, Sr. (3/29 at UVU)
10.87 — Dallon Didericksen, Stansbury, Sr. (4/5 at Delta)
11.07 — Derek Sorensen, Richfield, Sr. (3/29 at Pine View)
11.12 — Garrett Stroh, Hillcrest, Sr. (4/4 at Timpanogos)
11.15 — Zayne Anderson, Stansbury, Sr. (4/5 at Delta)
11.16 — Zac Morris, Lehi, Sr. (3/19 at Davis)
11.17 — Kavika Fonua, Syracuse, Sr. (3/26 at Syracuse)
11.17 — Chase Heiner, Provo, Jr. (3/29 at UVU)
11.21 — Jessi Noll, Springville, Sr. (3/29 at UVU)
11.21 — Chad Artist, Logan, Jr. (3/22 at Hurricane)
Note: State record is 10.47 set by Murray’s Brian Hazelgren in 1981
21.90 — Zac Morris, Lehi, Sr. (3/29 at Pine View)
21.92 — Trevor Leavitt, Davis, Sr. (3/26 at Syracuse)
21.93 — Michael Bluth, Riverton, Sr. (3/29 at UVU)
22.04 — Jonah Trinnaman, American Fork, Sr. (4/4 at Timpanogos)
22.25 — Derek Sorensen, Richfield, Sr. (3/29 at Pine View)
22.30 — Xequille Harry, Woods Cross, Sr. (3/26 at Syracuse)
22.33 — Garrett Stroh, Hillcrest, Sr. (4/4 at Timpanogos)
22.32 — Chase Heiner, Provo, Jr. (3/29 at UVU)
22.46 — Cam Dopp, Woods Cross, Sr. (3/26 at Syracuse)
Note: State record is 21.41 set by Woods Cross’s Jacopo Spano in 2013
47.69 — Trevor Leavitt, Davis, Sr. (3/26 at Syracuse)
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot... 22