CEDAR CITY — A Cedar City man was arrested over the weekend after police say he assaulted a family member, started a house fire and taunted police with sharp weapons.
About 8 p.m. Saturday, Cedar City police responded to a report of a suicidal man at 1950 N. 500 West. The man was identified as Michael Candelaria, 36.
According to police, Candelaria had assaulted a family member earlier in the night and had become suicidal. Authorities say he barricaded himself inside the home and threatened to kill family members and officers who came near.
The Iron County Metro SWAT team also responded and attempted to make peaceful negotiations with Candelaria without success. During this time, the man reportedly broke several windows, and smoke billowed out, indicating a fire had started in the home.
He then exited through a bedroom window carrying a "spear" and had knives tied to his hands, police say. Upon exiting, he reportedly took an aggressive stance and began taunting officers.
Candelaria eventually complied and was safely taken into custody.
The Cedar City Fire Department extinguished the fire inside the home where investigators said they they found accelerants and other evidence that Candelaria had started the fire.
Candelaria was booked into the Iron County Jail for investigation of aggravated arson, domestic violence in the presence of a child, threat of violence, possession of explosive materials and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop officers...
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11