UVU baseball: Wolverines win sixth straight, complete WAC series sweep
Utah Valley University notched its sixth straight win and swept a three-game WAC series, 7-3, on Sunday at Chicago State University. Devin Nelson pitched four scoreless innings to pick up his second win of the week.
Greyson Bogden broke a 2-2 tie in the fifth with a solo home run, his second of the year and his second go-ahead RBI in as many games for the Wolverines (13-18, 6-3). The series win is Utah Valley’s third straight.
Both teams battled issues throwing strikes. Utah Valley walked a combined 12 hitters while the Cougars (9-17, 0-6) walked seven Wolverine hitters, with four of those turning into runs.
In the top of the first, Sean Moysh followed a base hit by Seth Rhineer with a double before Mark Krueger’s groundout scored Rhineer for the first run. Craig Brinkerhoff then doubled home Moysh to give UVU a 2-0 lead.
Chicago State got one back in the third on a base hit by Mattingly Romanin and tied it two innings later on a bases-loaded walk.
After Bogden’s home run in the fifth, UVU scored two more in the sixth, taking advantage of three walks and an error in the frame. Cam Zollinger had a two-out RBI single in the eighth, and Krueger drove home his second run of the day with a sacrifice fly to account for the remainder of Utah Valley’s runs on the day.
Moysh and Brinkerhoff led UVU with two hits apiece. Nelson (3-4), who also got a win on Tuesday at BYU, allowed two hits during his stint on Sunday. Ean McNeal (2-3) took the loss after surrendering five runs on four hits and five walks in five innings. Chicago State stranded 14 runners on base during the game.
Utah Valley now returns home to host Texas-Pan American in a WAC series beginning Friday, April 11 at 6 p.m. MT.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to Friday...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC finale,...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early deficit...
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU golf: Utah Valley remains in third place...
- UVU golf: 3 UVU golfers finish in top 10 at...
- Orem woman makes history by joining Army...
- Orem woman makes history by joining... 17
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep... 0
- UVU golf: Utah Valley remains in third... 0
- UVU golf: 3 UVU golfers finish in top... 0