BYU track: Witt, Ward headline big weekend at Stanford Invitational
"We have had a phenomenal meet, a lot of qualifiers for regionals,” head coach Ed Eyestone said. “Mission accomplished this weekend. We continue to qualify people, we knew specifically that this is a very important weekend for us. The athletes came in well prepared and we represented BYU well.”
Witt finished in 28:36.64 to take first place, followed closely by Ward, who finished in 28:37.36. The two times qualified the duo for regionals in the event and were the top times posted in the nation during the outdoor season.
Curtis Carr took second in his section of the 5,000 meters, finishing in 13:55.77. Winston Wilkinson continued his strong start of the outdoor season in the discus, taking second with a mark of 51.23 meters.
BYU returns to action next weekend at the UCLA Invitational in Los Angeles.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: email@example.com
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- BYU men's basketball: Winder steps up big in...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all brawl...
- BYU closes season with painful loss in Miami...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in BYU history
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off... 21