I understand that many children are disadvantaged because of language barriers and working parents, etc., but wasn't Head Start begun for that very reason, to help these children? Many other children are brought up in homes with great parents and many advantages and they are better off in the hands of their parents for their early learning. It seems the expenditure of $3 million to fund UPSTART locally to just experiment is a waste of precious dollars. There already are many studies as to the advantages of the current Head Start program.
Why can't an existing program be perfected, if there is proof that it is working, rather than begin a new, costly program?
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- Rely on invisible hand?
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- My view: Why so many Americans find Trump and...
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 34
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 32
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24
- Rely on invisible hand? 23