Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Harbingers of spring — cherry blossoms and political wrangling
Can’t we all get along? Two-term incumbent Davis County Commissioner Bret Millburn has two GOP challengers — Brian Muir and Dave Hill. Meanwhile, Michelle Scharf, Jim Smith and Barry Fitton are wrangling for the other commission spot.
Fight for minor offices. Former Democratic Salt Lake County auditor Jeff Hatch is seeking to oust Republican Greg Hawkins but must first overcome longtime Democrat activist Christopher Stout. Hawkins also faces an intraparty opponent, Scott Tingley.
Democratic pain continues. The departures of House Minority Leader Jen Seelig, House Minority Whip Tim Cosgrove and well-liked Lynn Hemingway are a blow to Democrats. However, there is a scramble to replace them. Three Democrats are angling for Seelig’s safe “blue” seat, so whoever prevails will likely be elected in November. Cosgrove and Hemingway represent swing districts. Thus, three Republicans are seeking the nomination to face Democrat Christine Passey in Cosgrove’s district. Three Democrats are seeking to replace Hemingway, with the winner facing Republican Peter Kraus.
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: email@example.com. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In our opinion: Legislators need to better...
- My view: The solution to Utah's water problems
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from the...
- My view: Get insurance out of health care
- My view: Is the Division of Water Resources...
- In our opinion: Why it's important to note...
- Richard Davis: Do presidents have to be...
- My view: 'Death with dignity' and assisted...
- Americans are skeptical that government... 58
- Richard Davis: Do presidents have to be... 55
- My view: Get insurance out of health care 46
- My view: Obama's veto won't save Obamacare 34
- In our opinion: Attempting to... 32
- My view: 'Death with dignity' and... 27
- In our opinion: Concerned voters a good... 23
- Trump and Sanders 22