Injuries shake up Real Salt Lake line-up vs. Kansas City tonight
Rick Scuteri, AP
KANSAS CITY, Kansas — Real Salt Lake will roll out a surprising line-up in tonight’s MLS Cup rematch against Sporting Kansas City.
Nick Rimando (knee) and Tony Beltran (ankle) didn’t travel with the team because of injuries picked up during Wednesday’s U.S. National Team match against Mexico. Neither is expected to miss more than a week or two.
Rimando’s absence opens the door for back-up keeper Jeff Attinella to make his first start of the 2014 season after starting four matches a year ago.
The bigger concern is with RSL’s backline. With Chris Wingert already ruled out after picking up a groin injury against Toronto FC last week, Beltran’s sprained ankle means Rich Balchan and Abdoulie Mansally will start opposite each other at outside back between Nat Borchers and Chris Schuler.
Balchan hasn’t started a game since the 2011 season when he was with the Columbus Crew. Mansally brings a bit more experience to the table after making nine starts for RSL last season, but he’s proven to be pretty inconsistent during his time in Utah.
There are no surprises with RSL’s other six starters. Kyle Beckerman, Luis Gil, Ned Grabavoy and Javier Morales will start at midfield, with Alvaro Saborio and Olmes Garcia getting the nod up top.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 42
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6