Injuries shake up Real Salt Lake line-up vs. Kansas City tonight
Rick Scuteri, AP
KANSAS CITY, Kansas — Real Salt Lake will roll out a surprising line-up in tonight’s MLS Cup rematch against Sporting Kansas City.
Nick Rimando (knee) and Tony Beltran (ankle) didn’t travel with the team because of injuries picked up during Wednesday’s U.S. National Team match against Mexico. Neither is expected to miss more than a week or two.
Rimando’s absence opens the door for back-up keeper Jeff Attinella to make his first start of the 2014 season after starting four matches a year ago.
The bigger concern is with RSL’s backline. With Chris Wingert already ruled out after picking up a groin injury against Toronto FC last week, Beltran’s sprained ankle means Rich Balchan and Abdoulie Mansally will start opposite each other at outside back between Nat Borchers and Chris Schuler.
Balchan hasn’t started a game since the 2011 season when he was with the Columbus Crew. Mansally brings a bit more experience to the table after making nine starts for RSL last season, but he’s proven to be pretty inconsistent during his time in Utah.
There are no surprises with RSL’s other six starters. Kyle Beckerman, Luis Gil, Ned Grabavoy and Javier Morales will start at midfield, with Alvaro Saborio and Olmes Garcia getting the nod up top.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 62
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 56
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21