No new LDS temples for now, but President Monson says more to come
"We finally have the doctrine, the temples and the technology for families to accomplish this glorious work of salvation," Elder Cook said. "I suggest one way this might be done. Families could hold a 'FamilyTree gathering.' This should be a recurring effort. Everyone would bring existing family histories, stories and photos, including cherished possessions of grandparents and parents."
In addition to Fort Lauderdale, 13 temples are under construction in seven countries — Rome, Italy; Tijuana, Mexico; Fortaleza, Brazil; Sapporo, Japan; Philadelphia, Penn.; Fort Collins, Colo.; Indianapolis, Ind.; Hartford, Conn.; Córdoba, Argentina; Trujillo, Peru; Phoenix; Payson, Utah; and Provo City Center, Utah.
Another 14 temples have been announced but are not yet under construction in 11 countries — Paris; Meridian, Idaho; Urdaneta, Philippines; Lisbon, Portugal; Cóncepcion, Chile; Cedar City, Utah; Durban, South Africa; Barranquilla, Colombia; Tucson, Ariz.; Star Valley, Wyo.; Rio de Janeiro; Arequipa, Peru; Winnipeg, Manitoba; and Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
The church has invited the public to visit the Fort Lauderdale Temple during an open house that began Saturday and continues through April 19, excluding Sundays. Free reservations for the open house can be made through the Fort Lauderdale Temple website, mormontemples.org/fortlauderdale.
President Monson announced plans for the Fort Lauderdale Temple during the October 2009 general conference.
The LDS Church has more than 15 million members who gather for Sunday services in more than 17,000 meetinghouses around the world.
Temples are not used for Sunday worship. Church members consider temples to be sacred houses of God in which they make covenants, or formal promises and commitments to God.
"There is a tangible feeling of holiness in the temple," Elder Andersen said Saturday. "The peace of the Savior subdues the swirling whirlwinds of the world."
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Pope Francis: The world's at war, but not a...
- President and Sister Uchtdorf visit site of...
- Muslims celebrate lifting of Lagos hijab ban
- Does Hollywood demean — or misrepresent...
- Book review: 'By the Stars' is a low-key love...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- Book review: 'The Spider and the Sparrow' is...
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 40
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 32
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 19
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 17
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 12
- How would you describe God in just one... 11
- Does Hollywood demean — or... 9
- Great quote, Tim Kaine, but John Wesley... 7