No new LDS temples for now, but President Monson says more to come
"We finally have the doctrine, the temples and the technology for families to accomplish this glorious work of salvation," Elder Cook said. "I suggest one way this might be done. Families could hold a 'FamilyTree gathering.' This should be a recurring effort. Everyone would bring existing family histories, stories and photos, including cherished possessions of grandparents and parents."
In addition to Fort Lauderdale, 13 temples are under construction in seven countries — Rome, Italy; Tijuana, Mexico; Fortaleza, Brazil; Sapporo, Japan; Philadelphia, Penn.; Fort Collins, Colo.; Indianapolis, Ind.; Hartford, Conn.; Córdoba, Argentina; Trujillo, Peru; Phoenix; Payson, Utah; and Provo City Center, Utah.
Another 14 temples have been announced but are not yet under construction in 11 countries — Paris; Meridian, Idaho; Urdaneta, Philippines; Lisbon, Portugal; Cóncepcion, Chile; Cedar City, Utah; Durban, South Africa; Barranquilla, Colombia; Tucson, Ariz.; Star Valley, Wyo.; Rio de Janeiro; Arequipa, Peru; Winnipeg, Manitoba; and Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
The church has invited the public to visit the Fort Lauderdale Temple during an open house that began Saturday and continues through April 19, excluding Sundays. Free reservations for the open house can be made through the Fort Lauderdale Temple website, mormontemples.org/fortlauderdale.
President Monson announced plans for the Fort Lauderdale Temple during the October 2009 general conference.
The LDS Church has more than 15 million members who gather for Sunday services in more than 17,000 meetinghouses around the world.
Temples are not used for Sunday worship. Church members consider temples to be sacred houses of God in which they make covenants, or formal promises and commitments to God.
"There is a tangible feeling of holiness in the temple," Elder Andersen said Saturday. "The peace of the Savior subdues the swirling whirlwinds of the world."
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- New Mormon Message video highlights how much...
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- Church leaders can learn from NFL domestic...
- New DVD tells story of David Archuleta's...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 63
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 49
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs... 19
- New Mormon Message video highlights how... 15
- New DVD tells story of David... 13
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 9
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary... 8
- 5 unusual places of worship 5