Elder Larry S. Kacher, 62, was serving as an Area Seventy in the Middle East/Africa North Area when he was called to the Second Quorum of Seventy. Elder Kacher has served in numerous other church callings, including full-time missionary in French Polynesia, elders quorum president, branch president in Belgium, high councilor, bishop, stake president and president of the Geneva Switzerland Mission.
He received both a bachelor of science degree in psychology and a master’s degree in organizational behavior from Brigham Young University. Professionally, he has worked as an organizational development specialist, human resource development manager and management consultant.
Elder Kacher was born in Mankato, Minn. He is married to Pauline Miller, and they are the parents of six children.
Elder Hugo E. Martinez, 57, was serving as an Area Seventy in the Caribbean Area when he was called to the Second Quorum of the Seventy. Elder Martinez has served in numerous other church callings, including bishop, elders quorum president, district president, mission president’s counselor and president of the Guatemala City Central Mission.
He completed his pre-medicine studies at the University of Mississippi and received a medical degree from Escuela de Medicina de la Universidad de Puerto Rico. He completed a family practice residency in the University of Mississippi Medical Center. Elder Martinez worked for 20 years as a physician and medical consultant and owns his own family medical practice.
Elder Martinez was born in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. He is married to Nuria Merced Alvarez Pagan and they are the parents of five children.
Sunday School General Presidency
The new Sunday School general president, Brother Callister, 68, served as a full-time missionary in the Eastern Atlantic States Mission, as president of the Toronto Canada Mission and an Area Seventy.
He earned a degree in accounting from Brigham Young University, law degree from UCLA and a master’s degree in tax law from New York University Law School. He spent most of his professional career practicing tax law.
John Sears Tanner, 63, earned an English degree from Brigham Young University and a doctorate in English from the University of California-Berkeley. He has worked as a professor of English at Florida State University and BYU and as academic vice president of BYU. His wife, Susan Winder Tanner, served as the church's general Young Women president from 2002-08.
Devin G. Durrant, 53, earned a degree in American studies from BYU and an MBA from the University of Utah. Professionally, he is a self-employed real estate professional. He played in the NBA and is a member of the BYU Sports Hall of Fame.
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Elder Oaks gives special Thanksgiving...
- 'Turbulent and incredibly productive': New...
- A lesson a little girl learned while seeing...
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is special for...
- LDS Church to release 'A Savior Is Born'...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 96
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 25
- LDS World: How events in Paris are a... 10
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- 4 effective ways to teach your kids... 4
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 4
- Defending the Faith: Reasons for... 4
- New Harmony: A word for teens teetering... 3