BYU tennis: Sargeant, Pearce lead 5-2 comeback win over Dons
Despite rain delays, BYU men’s tennis stormed back for the 5-2 win over San Francisco on captainFrancis Sargeant’s match-clincher, Friday.
The Cougars (8-12) came back from a 2-0 deficit as they improved to 2-3 in West Coast Conference play.
With the match at 3-2 in favor of BYU, the nationally ranked Sargeant came through in the clutch at No. 1 singles to clinch the win. The junior fell in the first set, 2-6, before winning the final two, 6-3, 6-3, against Bernardo Saraiva.
Freshman Matthew Pearce set up Sargeant for the clincher as he picked up his fifth consecutive singles win to secure the point, 6-4, 6-4, against Christian Brockstedt.
The comeback was needed after the Dons (9-11, 0-5 WCC) took the first two points of the match at doubles and fifth singles.
The Cougars clawed their way back into the match as No. 2 singles player Andrey Goryachkov topped Nils Skajaa in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2.
Freshman Jeremy Bourgeois followed suit at the No. 3 slot by edging Thomas Takemoto in two sets as well, 6-4, 7-6(8).
After the match was won, South African freshman Aidan Carrazedo rallied in his match, slipping by Timothy Tan, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
The Cougars face another road test when they take on their 10th ranked opponent on the season in 67th-ranked Santa Clara on Saturday at noon PDT.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars fall at home to...
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU rugby...
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 14
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night... 13
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 10
- BYU football: Brad Wilcox stepping up... 9
- College baseball: Big sixth inning... 8
- NCAA 'service work' has been... 7