BYU football: BYU alumni come out to support Cougars in final spring scrimmage
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU concluded its spring camp Friday with a scrimmage in front of more than 400 former players. Following the session, coach Bronco Mendenhall expressed gratitude for the program’s alumni.
“(They’re) the sustaining force,” Mendenhall said.
According to the BYU coach, most former players attend to get a sense of the current state of the program, with many asking what they can do to help further its progress.
Offensive coordinator and alumnus Robert Anae caught up with many of his former teammates that were part of BYU's 1984 national championship team — joking that the stories told between them grow taller by the year.
"We always seem to remind each other of how great we were," Anae quipped. "The stories seem to be getting bigger. ... The older (we get), the wilder the stories."
As for the 1984 team and its supreme accomplishment of winning a national championship, Anae joked, "We just got lucky, in my opinion."
PRACTICE NOTES: Running back Nate Carter broke off a 65-yard touchdown around the end to highlight the offensive plays made during Friday's scrimmage. ... Linebacker Alani Fua intercepting a pass was the defensive highlight. ... Receiver Nick Kurtz caught several passes in what coaches described as his best performance to date.
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new walk-on...
- BYU coaches happy about development of...
- Tyler Haws' NBA dream path takes a detour to...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- Red and blue recruits: A first look at...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap Cornhuskers'...
- AP preseason top 25 poll: Utah, BYU... 59
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 38
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 38
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 26
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 25
- Utah Jazz: Withey, 7-footer with two... 22