BYU football: BYU alumni come out to support Cougars in final spring scrimmage
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU concluded its spring camp Friday with a scrimmage in front of more than 400 former players. Following the session, coach Bronco Mendenhall expressed gratitude for the program’s alumni.
“(They’re) the sustaining force,” Mendenhall said.
According to the BYU coach, most former players attend to get a sense of the current state of the program, with many asking what they can do to help further its progress.
Offensive coordinator and alumnus Robert Anae caught up with many of his former teammates that were part of BYU's 1984 national championship team — joking that the stories told between them grow taller by the year.
"We always seem to remind each other of how great we were," Anae quipped. "The stories seem to be getting bigger. ... The older (we get), the wilder the stories."
As for the 1984 team and its supreme accomplishment of winning a national championship, Anae joked, "We just got lucky, in my opinion."
PRACTICE NOTES: Running back Nate Carter broke off a 65-yard touchdown around the end to highlight the offensive plays made during Friday's scrimmage. ... Linebacker Alani Fua intercepting a pass was the defensive highlight. ... Receiver Nick Kurtz caught several passes in what coaches described as his best performance to date.
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Jazz in talks with German center Pleiss,...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul Millsap...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 58
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 24
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 22
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13