BYU football: BYU alumni come out to support Cougars in final spring scrimmage
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU concluded its spring camp Friday with a scrimmage in front of more than 400 former players. Following the session, coach Bronco Mendenhall expressed gratitude for the program’s alumni.
“(They’re) the sustaining force,” Mendenhall said.
According to the BYU coach, most former players attend to get a sense of the current state of the program, with many asking what they can do to help further its progress.
Offensive coordinator and alumnus Robert Anae caught up with many of his former teammates that were part of BYU's 1984 national championship team — joking that the stories told between them grow taller by the year.
"We always seem to remind each other of how great we were," Anae quipped. "The stories seem to be getting bigger. ... The older (we get), the wilder the stories."
As for the 1984 team and its supreme accomplishment of winning a national championship, Anae joked, "We just got lucky, in my opinion."
PRACTICE NOTES: Running back Nate Carter broke off a 65-yard touchdown around the end to highlight the offensive plays made during Friday's scrimmage. ... Linebacker Alani Fua intercepting a pass was the defensive highlight. ... Receiver Nick Kurtz caught several passes in what coaches described as his best performance to date.
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Detroit Lions pick up fifth-year option on...
- Mike Sorensen: These awful NBA free-throw...
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 93
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 77
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 65
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 36
- Utah baseball team surprisingly leads... 31
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 29
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 29
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 21