BYU football: BYU alumni come out to support Cougars in final spring scrimmage
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU concluded its spring camp Friday with a scrimmage in front of more than 400 former players. Following the session, coach Bronco Mendenhall expressed gratitude for the program’s alumni.
“(They’re) the sustaining force,” Mendenhall said.
According to the BYU coach, most former players attend to get a sense of the current state of the program, with many asking what they can do to help further its progress.
Offensive coordinator and alumnus Robert Anae caught up with many of his former teammates that were part of BYU's 1984 national championship team — joking that the stories told between them grow taller by the year.
"We always seem to remind each other of how great we were," Anae quipped. "The stories seem to be getting bigger. ... The older (we get), the wilder the stories."
As for the 1984 team and its supreme accomplishment of winning a national championship, Anae joked, "We just got lucky, in my opinion."
PRACTICE NOTES: Running back Nate Carter broke off a 65-yard touchdown around the end to highlight the offensive plays made during Friday's scrimmage. ... Linebacker Alani Fua intercepting a pass was the defensive highlight. ... Receiver Nick Kurtz caught several passes in what coaches described as his best performance to date.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23