Westminster lacrosse: Haynes scores six to lead Griffins past Utes
The 15th-ranked Westminster College women’s lacrosse team picked up a 19-9 win over in-state rival Utah on Friday evening at Dumke Field.
The third-straight win for the Griffins improves the team to 6-3 on the season. Utah, the top-ranked team in Division 2 of the WCLA, falls to 11-2 with the loss.
Westminster used a span of five straight goals to close the first half and begin the second to turn a 4-3 lead into a 9-3 advantage with 26:01 left in the game. Utah would try to mount a comeback and had the deficit to 11-8 at the 18:25 mark. The Griffins scored the next four goals of the evening and eight of the final nine to snap Utah’s six-game winning streak.
Maddie Haynes led the Westminster attack with a career-high six goals. She took nine shots with seven on cage, and she scored on one of her two free-position shots. Maggie HerrNeckar went for five goals and one assist, and Kaely Kernan scored three goals with three assists. Kira Heiden also scored three goals, and Dana Barraco added two.
The Griffins took 35 shots in the game with 28 of them on cage. They were able to overcome a 17-12 edge in draw controls by Utah by forcing the Utes in 21 turnovers. Utah also had a 27-19 edge in ground balls.
Makenzie Hekking finished with 12 saves in goal for the Griffins for her sixth double-digit saves game of the year. She now has 393 career saves as she inches closer to the 400 mark.
Katie Baker and Laura Hunter scored two goals apiece to lead Utah. Baker also had an assist for a team-high three assists. Megan Wilson made nine saves in cage for the Utes.
Westminster returns to action Sunday when it hosts No. 6 UCLA at Dumke Field. The action begins at 11 a.m. MDT. It was also announced Friday that the Griffins will host Utah Valley at Dumke Field in a 6 p.m. game Monday.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25