Westminster lacrosse: Haynes scores six to lead Griffins past Utes
The 15th-ranked Westminster College women’s lacrosse team picked up a 19-9 win over in-state rival Utah on Friday evening at Dumke Field.
The third-straight win for the Griffins improves the team to 6-3 on the season. Utah, the top-ranked team in Division 2 of the WCLA, falls to 11-2 with the loss.
Westminster used a span of five straight goals to close the first half and begin the second to turn a 4-3 lead into a 9-3 advantage with 26:01 left in the game. Utah would try to mount a comeback and had the deficit to 11-8 at the 18:25 mark. The Griffins scored the next four goals of the evening and eight of the final nine to snap Utah’s six-game winning streak.
Maddie Haynes led the Westminster attack with a career-high six goals. She took nine shots with seven on cage, and she scored on one of her two free-position shots. Maggie HerrNeckar went for five goals and one assist, and Kaely Kernan scored three goals with three assists. Kira Heiden also scored three goals, and Dana Barraco added two.
The Griffins took 35 shots in the game with 28 of them on cage. They were able to overcome a 17-12 edge in draw controls by Utah by forcing the Utes in 21 turnovers. Utah also had a 27-19 edge in ground balls.
Makenzie Hekking finished with 12 saves in goal for the Griffins for her sixth double-digit saves game of the year. She now has 393 career saves as she inches closer to the 400 mark.
Katie Baker and Laura Hunter scored two goals apiece to lead Utah. Baker also had an assist for a team-high three assists. Megan Wilson made nine saves in cage for the Utes.
Westminster returns to action Sunday when it hosts No. 6 UCLA at Dumke Field. The action begins at 11 a.m. MDT. It was also announced Friday that the Griffins will host Utah Valley at Dumke Field in a 6 p.m. game Monday.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45