BYU tennis: No. 58 BYU women's tennis drops Santa Clara, 4-3
It was a team effort as No. 58 BYU women’s tennis posted its first-ever win against Santa Clara, 4-3, in West Coast Conference action Friday.
The Cougars (9-7) improved to 5-1 in the WCC while the Broncos (7-8) dropped to 2-3 in conference.
“I’m happy that we were able to get a win today,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We had good momentum heading into the singles matches after winning the doubles points and that was very good for us.”
The netters then pushed the match score to 3-0 against Santa Clara.
Littlewood dominated at No. 6 singles, beating Elaine Chesoni, 6-0, 6-1. Sophomore Nicolette Tran followed with a victory over Cooke, 6-1, 6-3, to cruise at the third spot.
The Broncos then started a comeback, galloping to win the next two matches at No. 1 and No. 2 singles.
With the match at 3-2 in favor of the Cougars, the opportunity to clinch fell upon freshman Savannah Ware. The Southern California native repeated a familiar storyline, clinching the WCC victory for BYU by taking a two-set contest against Nikki Wolny, 6-4, 6-2. Ware has clinched four wins this season including victories over Boise State, San Francisco and then 38th-ranked Saint Mary’s.
“I thought we didn’t perform to the best of our abilities in some of our singles matches,” Jones-Spencer said. “But we learned a lot and look to continue to improve as we continue league play. San Diego will be a very good and challenging match for us next Saturday.”
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 66
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 41
- BYU football report card: Mostly B's... 36