Carolyn Kaster, Associated Press
President Obama held a celebratory event this week and announced that the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, is “here to stay.” He should have done something more dramatic, such as land on an aircraft carrier under a banner reading, “Mission accomplished.”
If the president thinks the sniper fire is over on health care reform, he may be underestimating the insurgent forces in Washington.
It says something about the power of the federal government when it can force the 48.6 million people who are uninsured to sign up for health insurance under threat of a fine, get only 7.1 million people to sign up and then declare the whole thing a success.
The U.S. Supreme Court last week expanded the number of politicians any one person can buy. The tough part is finding a place to store them when they’re not being used.
The Associated Press says the White House recently conducted a covert Twitter operation in Cuba, designed to stir political unrest in 140 characters or less.
Just imagine if social media had existed throughout American history. John F. Kennedy could have called off the invasion of Cuba because the Internet was down.
FDR might have said, “The only thing we have to fear is someone hacking our accounts.”
Winston Churchill might not have been as inspiring if he said, “We shall tweet in France, we shall tweet on the seas and oceans, we shall tweet with growing confidence and growing strength in the air ”
Baseball season started last week, and this year the major leagues have instituted replay reviews by umpires. Apparently, people were complaining the games weren’t slow enough.
From now on, when people refer to a doubleheader between the Yankees and Red Sox, they will mean one game that lasts two days.
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- In our opinion: With Shurtleff and Swallow...
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- My view: A global warming solution to grow...
- Helping kids master what matters: Emotions,...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- Join the discussion: Is it impossible to be a...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 63
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 49
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 35
- The complicated political views of... 33
- My view: A global warming solution to... 29