HOPE TO FINISH STRONG: Burke said that, even though the Jazz were eliminated from playoff contention long ago, have the worst record in the Western Conference, and have lost five straight, 11 of their last 12, and 16 of their last 18 games, they're not throwing in the towel.
"We have goals, certain goals we set for these last seven games," he said, "and that's to continue to get better and play through our mistakes but learn from them.
"We definitely feel like we can meet those short-term goals and just continue to develop as players and as a team."
Teammate Derrick Favors agrees.
"We're just trying to finish the season off strong," the Jazz center said. "Come out here and get as many wins as we can, just try and finish this season off strong.
"I think we're ready to just go out and play. We've been on a losing streak lately, and we're just ready to get out there and play and get a win."
NOT GIVING UP: Burke said he's been proud of the refuse-to-quit nature he's seen from his teammates through what's been a difficult, losing situation.
"The way we persevere through adversity, the way we just continue to fight through adversity goes to show that we have a lot of strong players," he said. "None of us is used to losing, so we've just got to find ways to just continue to move on and get better."
But this late in this losing season, how can they do that?
"Watching a lot of film, learning from your mistakes, late-game situations, coming out with a lot of intensity — all of those things play a big part in winning or losing," Burke said before Friday's home game against New Orleans.
"We had a goal of competing and getting better every single game. I'm sure everybody on the team wants to win every game. These last seven games, as easy as it is to say, we have to do what we do on the defensive end and execute on the offense to accomplish that goal. It's going to be hard, but it can be done if we come together."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22