It seems that salads and warm weather just go together.
However, I love salad all year round and enjoy trying different vegetables and fruits mixed in with the greens or blended into the dressing. No need to mention how healthy salads can be, but that doesn’t mean they are not a delicious treat. Adding a variety of ingredients and combining sweet, savory and tangy flavors make salads the crowning glory of the meal. With all the varieties of ingredients, they will never get boring.
This Orange and Pecan Salad is a great example of ingredients that taste fresh and zesty but are available all year round. This salad is great as a side dish but can also be a lunch or light dinner. Add some chopped cooked chicken or shrimp and it becomes even more of a meal.
Belle’s Orange and Pecan Salad
1 head green leaf or Romaine lettuce, rinsed and torn
1 large orange, peeled and sliced into thin circles
½ cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
¼ cup feta or blue cheese, crumbled
¼ cup orange juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 shallot, minced
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Place the lettuce, oranges, pecans and cheese in a large bowl. Mix together the juice, vinegar, shallot, oil, salt and pepper. Pour half the dressing over the salad and toss. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform to...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Leaving your child alone in public? Better be...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: What we can all learn...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 51
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 16
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Linda & Richard Eyre: What we can all... 12
- Understanding and responding to the... 9
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 9
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but... 9
- Leaving your child alone in public?... 5