It seems that salads and warm weather just go together.
However, I love salad all year round and enjoy trying different vegetables and fruits mixed in with the greens or blended into the dressing. No need to mention how healthy salads can be, but that doesn’t mean they are not a delicious treat. Adding a variety of ingredients and combining sweet, savory and tangy flavors make salads the crowning glory of the meal. With all the varieties of ingredients, they will never get boring.
This Orange and Pecan Salad is a great example of ingredients that taste fresh and zesty but are available all year round. This salad is great as a side dish but can also be a lunch or light dinner. Add some chopped cooked chicken or shrimp and it becomes even more of a meal.
Belle’s Orange and Pecan Salad
1 head green leaf or Romaine lettuce, rinsed and torn
1 large orange, peeled and sliced into thin circles
½ cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
¼ cup feta or blue cheese, crumbled
¼ cup orange juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 shallot, minced
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Place the lettuce, oranges, pecans and cheese in a large bowl. Mix together the juice, vinegar, shallot, oil, salt and pepper. Pour half the dressing over the salad and toss. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- UTubers: Imagine Dragons releases new song,...
- The Clean Cut: Girl asks boy with Down...
- Utah woman is a finalist on Hallmark...
- Avoid giving your baby this food that may...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target over...
- The effects of spanking children may surprise...
- How social media can make us question our...
- Renovation Solutions: Determining the best...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 88
- Kasich calls for balance on gay rights,... 17
- The benefits some families see from... 16
- The effects of spanking children may... 13
- ... 8
- How social media can make us question... 4
- Families need to know of dying decision... 4
- Twila Van Leer: Tips for preserving... 1