“Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts: Fully Roasted” (StarVista, 1973-78, six discs, $59.95, 17 episodes, comedy skits from Martin’s variety series, featurettes). Another volume of Martin’s “roast” episodes, each featuring a beloved celebrity subjected to scripted insult comedy from other celebs (though going off-script is a common occurrence). It’s mostly comics, of course, but also actors adept at delivering one-liners, and many of the zingers are fall-down funny. Roastees include Betty White, Ronald Reagan, Muhammad Ali, Angie Dickinson, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Suzanne Somers, George Burns, etc., and roasters include Jack Benny, Bob Newhart, Henry Fonda, Jonathan Winters, Billy Crystal, Orson Welles, etc.
“The Story of Medicine: Pain, Pus & Poison” (Athena, 2013, two discs, $39.99, three episodes, short documentaries; 16-page booklet). British documentary miniseries explores how drugs have revolutionized medicine over the past 200 years and reveals that luck has had as much to do with it as genius.
“Green Lantern: The Animated Series” (Warner Archive/Blu-ray, 2011, two discs, $25.95, 26 episodes). This DC Comics superhero TV show aired on the Cartoon Network cable channel for one season, with the title character heading into space to help fellow Green Lanterns battle the evil Red Lanterns. (Available at warnerarchive.com)
“Power Rangers: Seasons 13-17” (Shout!, 2005-09, 22 discs, $129.99, 166 episodes, featurettes). Fans of this live-action series will be salivating over this heavy-duty box set, which includes the seasons titled “S.P.D.,” “Mystic Force,” “Operation Overdrive,” “Jungle Fury” and “RPM,” as our heroes take on the Troobian Empire, sorceress Udonna and the computer virus Venjix, among other challenges.
“Saban’s Power Rangers Turbo: Volume One” (Shout!, 1997, three discs, $19.93, 23 episodes). Live-action kids' series about five Turbo Rangers using their powers, weapons and vehicles at supercharged hyperspeeds.
Chris Hicks is the author of "Has Hollywood Lost Its Mind? A Parent’s Guide to Movie Ratings." Website: hicksflicks.com
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- For gamers, combating online abuse not easy
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Frank Lloyd Wright school's future divides...
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 8
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 1