Corroon, Davis running for state Democratic Party chairman
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon and former Utah County Democratic Party Chairman Richard Davis both said Friday they are running for the Utah Democratic Party chairmanship.
Corroon, a real estate developer, said his unsuccessful bid to unseat Gov. Gary Herbert in 2010 "may be why I'm ideally suited for this" because he gained an understanding of the challenges of appealing to voters in a GOP-dominated state.
Davis, a BYU political science professor who writes a column for the Deseret News, said he was able to increase support for Democratic candidates in Utah County while serving as party chairman from 2007 through 2011, although none were elected.
Democratic delegates will choose a new chairman at their state convention on April 26 to replace Jim Dabakis. Dabakis, a state senator, resigned as party chairman last month for undisclosed medical reasons.
The state party's executive director, Matt Lyon, said the convention has been moved from a downtown hotel to the Salt Palace Convention Center because the race is expected to draw more delegates.
"It'll make our convention a bigger deal than it was before," Lyon said. "Now, I imagine we'll get a great turnout from delegates statewide."
The filing period for candidates seeking the state party chairmanship begins Monday and ends Friday. The chairman chosen at the convention will serve for the remaining year of Dabakis' term.
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Salt Lake County lands on Top 10 list of...
- New poll shows more support for Sen. Mike Lee
- Utah family into film, acting, directing and...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 87
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 40
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 39
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 31
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20