Ok.com users give the film a 38-percent "Worth Your Time" rating. Audiences at Rotten Tomatoes have given "Noah" a 47 percent approval rating. However, "Noah" is "certified fresh" by professional critics, currently sitting at 77 percent approval.
Christopher Orr of The Atlantic wrote, "Despite its flamboyant, and at times goofy, fantasy trappings, 'Noah' is firmly anchored by the fierce moral intensity of Aronofsky’s vision, which is, if anything, more Old Testament than the Old Testament itself."
"'Noah,' like the good book it springs from, is wide open to interpretation," wrote Steve Persall of the Tampa Bay Times. "Bold yet reverent, (Aronofsky's) head-trip take on the biblical legend is bound to confound literalists wondering what in the name of Cecil B. DeMille is going on."
Some Christian leaders have spoken up in defense of the film and believe the movie can be used as a positive tool for Bible-believing Christians, as reported by The Blaze. In a video the website posted in March, Gabe Lyons, the author and founder of Q, said, "They wanted to do a story that could capture our imagination and is riveting, that draws you in, that makes you leave affected, feeling the weight of life and humanity, and this story does that."
"Movies aren't meant to preach," Karen Covell said in the video. Covell, the founder of the Hollywood Prayer Network, continued, "Movies aren't sermons. And so if they can bring up the topic and start conversation, that's a good movie — and this one made me ask questions."
"There will be many people who will choose to see this movie. We can’t prevent that, and I am not calling for a boycott," Ham wrote. “If a Christian who is knowledgeable about the true account of Noah knows of someone who has already seen the film, then that believer should certainly take the opportunity to share about the truthfulness of God’s Word."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: atownmania
- Jewish woman launches modest online...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Doug's Take: 'McFarland, USA' is a movie...
- ‘Big Hero 6,’ ‘Feast’...
- The most overlooked characteristic of the...
- Relationship, educational and economic...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- The Clean Cut: Groom makes vows not only to...
- Erin Stewart: Why I vaccinate my... 21
- Jewish woman launches modest online... 11
- For kids older than 2, a nap may only... 3
- There's no escaping 'Saturday Night Live' 3
- Doug's Take: 'McFarland, USA' is a... 2
- ‘Big Hero 6,’... 2
- Utahn Sierra Dawn Thomas set to compete... 1
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your... 1