Utahns Noelle Pikus-Pace, Sage Kotsenburg win Best of U.S. Olympic awards
USA Bobsled and Skeleton Facebook page
The United States Olympic Committee gathered many of the 2014 Winter Olympic and Paralympic athletes together in Washington, D.C., to announce the Best of U.S. award winners.
The award ceremony is a brand new program that highlights athletes who were outstanding in their performances. Each award is determined by fan vote. The award ceremony took place Wednesday, April 2, and will be broadcast on Monday, April 7 on NBCSN at 5 p.m.
Two local athletes represented Utah at the ceremony. Sage Kotsenburg, the Olympic slopestyle gold medalist from Park City, was named Best Male Olympian. Kostenburg was the first U.S. athlete to receive a gold medal during the 2014 Winter Games.
Noelle Pikus-Pace, from Orem, received the award for Moment of the Games as a result of the family-filled celebration that ensued after she received the silver medal in the women's skeleton event.
Kotsenburg was the first to receive an award, ESPN reported, and was caught off guard.
"Whoa. I didn't really prepare a speech. I didn't know this was an awards show until last night," ESPN reported Kotsenburg said.
Sporting a blue suit, Kotsenburg explained he had just made the purchase for the event.
"I had never put a suit on in my life, so I was definitely weirded out."
Other award recipients included luge athlete Erin Hamlin as Best Female Olympian and ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White as Team of the Games.
Email: email@example.com | Twitter: @Sarah_DNews
- UTubers: Imagine Dragons releases new song,...
- Avoid giving your baby this food that may...
- Utah woman is a finalist on Hallmark...
- The Clean Cut: Girl asks boy with Down...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target over...
- The effects of spanking children may surprise...
- UTubers: Kalani Sitake, Al Fox Carraway...
- Renovation Solutions: Determining the best...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 88
- The benefits some families see from... 16
- Erin Stewart: How I degrade myself as a... 15
- The effects of spanking children may... 13
- Kasich calls for balance on gay rights,... 9
- ... 8
- Families need to know of dying decision... 4
- How social media can make us question... 3